Old January 30th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default An interesting 7 pieces endgame

8/8/8/8/Q2B3k/5pp1/4K3/7q w - - 0 9
White : Ke2, Qa4, Bd4
Black : Kh4, Qh1, f3,g3
White to play

I tested this endgame in a module match Fritz10 - Rybka and on hand.
Every time Fritz10 wins with Black and draws with White.
It is very difficult for a human being to prove that Black wins.
But 90% I believe it.

What do you think about this endgame ?

Old January 31st 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jan 30, 4:47 pm, "Tantale" wrote:
8/8/8/8/Q2B3k/5pp1/4K3/7q w - - 0 9
White : Ke2, Qa4, Bd4
Black : Kh4, Qh1, f3,g3
White to play

I tested this endgame in a module match Fritz10 - Rybka and on hand.
Every time Fritz10 wins with Black and draws with White.
It is very difficult for a human being to prove that Black wins.
But 90% I believe it.

What do you think about this endgame ?

With W to play, 1. Bd4-e3+ is mate in 4, isn't it? Is there a typo in
your position?

Black to play, 1...Qh1-e4+ seems to win,if you avoid the tricks.

Old January 31st 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

With W to play, 1. Bd4-e3+ is mate in 4, isn't it? Is there a typo in
your position?

No

It is White to play but the White King e2 is in check by the pawn f3 so 1.
Bd4-e3+ is illegal !

JMR

Old January 31st 07, 10:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jan 30, 9:47 pm, "Tantale" wrote:
8/8/8/8/Q2B3k/5pp1/4K3/7q w - - 0 9
White : Ke2, Qa4, Bd4
Black : Kh4, Qh1, f3,g3
White to play

I tested this endgame in a module match Fritz10 - Rybka and on hand.
Every time Fritz10 wins with Black and draws with White.
It is very difficult for a human being to prove that Black wins.
But 90% I believe it.

What do you think about this endgame ?

It might be interesting to run it on infinite analysis on a fast
machine armed with appropriate 6 man tablebases for a day or so.

I let Shredder10 have a play with it overnight and then traced through
the main lines. White has to play very carefully to stay in the game,
but black has to work hard to claim his notional material advantage by
promoting the pawns.

White has only 3 moves out of check and the main lines after a 22 ply
search look something like

1. Kd2 Qg2+ 2. Kc3 Kh3 3. Qb5 *Qa2 4. Qf1+ Kg4/h4 5. Qd1 Qa3+/
Qa5+

Interesting that 3. .... *Qa2 appears to be the only good continuation
here for black.

1. Kd3 Kh3 2. Qd7+ Kh2/(or Kg2) 3. Qh7+ Kg2 4. Qb7 Qh5 5. Ba7
Qf5+ (I think probably best line for white?)

And the also ran that blocks whites B and lets a pawn advance in
relative safety.

1. Ke3 f2! [shredder likes] 2. Bc5+ Kh3 3. Qd7+ with a claimed
(-279.73 cutoff)

2. Be5+ or 2. Bf6+ appear to me to have more fighting spirit - causing
black to go through a couple of moves where there is only one winning
continuation line. Has Shredder seen something deeper overnight that I
have missed? When I played these moves against it the evaluation was
more favourable to white than its own preffered main line.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old January 31st 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

"Martin Brown" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
[...]

Thanks a lot for your analysis.

My opinion is now that the best line for both sides is : 1.Kd2 Kh3 2.Qd7+
Kg2 3.Qd5 Qf1 4.Bc5
Then White must keep their Queen on the a8-h1 diagonal and their Bishop on
the a7-g1 diagonal.
For this they must be very carefull about their King's move.
If Black would succed in putting their queen somewhere on the a8-h1 diagonal
they woul win I think.

I think that with this stratety White can hold the position.

Best regards.

JMR