Old February 19th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Tox Tox is offline

Default ECO PGN with annotation

What I'm really looking for is something like the MCO book in PGN format. I
have a PGN file of basically all of the chess openings and variations, but
there are no comments or annotation to go along with it, which is what I
really want. So, does such an animal exist? How about something like the
MCO book as a text file?

-gk-

Old February 19th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Feb 19, 12:08 pm, "Tox" wrote:
What I'm really looking for is something like the MCO book in PGN format. I
have a PGN file of basically all of the chess openings and variations, but
there are no comments or annotation to go along with it, which is what I
really want. So, does such an animal exist? How about something like the
MCO book as a text file?

-gk-

Subscribe To Chessbase Magazine. They have annotated games with
commentary and that is about as close as you'll get.

Old February 20th 07, 09:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Tox wrote:
What I'm really looking for is something like the MCO book in PGN
format. I have a PGN file of basically all of the chess openings
and variations, but there are no comments or annotation to go along
with it, which is what I really want. So, does such an animal
exist?

Almost certainly not.

Apart from anything else, preparing such a thing would be a huge task:
even without comments, such a work would be several hundred pages of
printed text; with comments, it would essentially be a summary of
every opening book ever printed!

If you want comments on the opening, you're best off either buying a
general book like Fine's `The Ideas behind the Chess Openings' or more
specific books on the openings you're interested in.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Gigantic Confusing Tool (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a hammer but you can't understand
Old February 21st 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Feb 19, 12:08 pm, "Tox" wrote:
What I'm really looking for is something like the MCO book in PGN format. I
have a PGN file of basically all of the chess openings and variations, but
there are no comments or annotation to go along with it, which is what I
really want. So, does such an animal exist? How about something like the
MCO book as a text file?

-gk-

Convekta has a product out, "Opening Instructor," that is in some ways
similar what you're asking about -- although it's not PGN, it's based
on the Chess Assistant program. A link to a review:
http://www.chessville.com/reviews/OpeningInstructor.htm