Old August 8th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default need advice regarding danish gambit line

How should white follow up this danish gambit line?

1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Bc4 cxb2 5.Bxb2 d6 6.Qb3 Be6.

I can't see anything better than 7.Bxe6 fxe6 8.Qxe6+ (8.Qxb7 doesn't
look apealing) but then, even after 8...Qe7 I can't find anything
better than 8.Qc8+ Qd8 9.QxQ+ (again Qxb7 doesn't look appealing) KxQ
which looks like equality at most. What am I missing? Thanks.

Old August 9th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Thanks Ron!

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question.

the question doesn't have an answer yet in the conventional sense

Honestly, the mistake might be in 4.Bc4.

But it is the only move listed in mco-14 and iirc earlier, and the
main move in eco!

Why not 8.Qxb7 - ?
8.Qxb7 Nd7 9.Bc3 (to avoid the x-ray attack) Rb8 10. Qd5 Nf6.
The position is complicated - it's certainly messy but I'm not sure who's better.

But that is exactly the kind of answer I wanted! That's what one is
looking for in the Danish! I'll analyse your suggestion further (with
the help of - but not dependence - of my old rebel 12 - i don't know
of any engine thats good at suggesting moves early on in 2-pawn
gambits - so rebel 12 is as good as any - and i have a hard disk w/
win98 - i often make it master and boot from it to run rebel - rebel
doesnt run on xp, nor r on non-windows m/cs.) and raise further points
if any. Thanks again!

I did use to play the Goring (and still give my opponents opportunities to transpose into unfavorable lines of
it): 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 ed 4.c3 dc. In that position, pretty much everybody plays Nxc3. Having his king
knight developed means white can castle quicker in response to threats down the e-file, and the moves Ng5 and Bg5 are both fairly thematic.

That was again helpful. *I* have very little experience with the
goering gambit - i'll see the themes there (by reading in between the
lines in mco etc, some internet search, experimentation, ... ) - given
the similarities between goering and danish (and not ignoring the
differences) studying the one *should* help me with the other...
specially if in goering twice-accepted if Nxc3 is "automatic" and the
rest of what you said [cited above] ... thats evidence you have a very
good point... thanks again

On another note, in a line i gave : 8.Qc8+ Qd8, i can follow up with
QxQ KxQ - i have slightly better development and taken away black's
castling rights, OTOH Im a pawn down and Q's are exchanged... your
suggestion looks prima facie more exciting.

Please share any further thoughts on the whole thing if you feel like.
I'll report on my investigations soon [oh if only i was rich enough
not to have to work for a living - i could guarantee fast response
then... ].

Bye for now, hope to hear from you soon...