Old August 13th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Play the French 2nd edition, by Watson.

Can anyone with that book tell me the year of colour, year of
publication, number of pages or anything else I can send to someone to
verify the edition. Does it say 2nd edition on the front?
Old August 13th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Aug 13, 6:33 am, Dave wrote:
Can anyone with that book tell me the year of colour, year of
publication, number of pages or anything else I can send to someone to
verify the edition. Does it say 2nd edition on the front?

I just checked on amazon.com. They only have the third edition, which
has a purple cover. I think I remember the second edition being blue
from having seen it before, but I don't actually own it, so I might be
misremembering.

Per a review I found at jeremysilman.com, the three editions were
published in 1984, 1996, and 2003. Google is a wonderful way to find
this stuff.

--Richard

Old August 16th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone with that book tell me the year of colour, year of publication,
number of pages or anything else I can send to someone to verify the
edition. Does it say 2nd edition on the front?

I have this book, but I had to do some checking that it really is the second
edition. The cover (paperback) is maroonish; on the front it says "PLAY THE
FRENCH (New Edition)" - there is no mention of "second" on the cover. It is
223 pages long and was published in 1996. I am sure that it really is the
second edition though, since one of the chapters is called "Introduction to
the Second Edition".

Regards,
Arfur

Old August 17th 07, 08:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Arfur Million wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

Can anyone with that book tell me the year of colour, year of publication,
number of pages or anything else I can send to someone to verify the
edition. Does it say 2nd edition on the front?

I have this book, but I had to do some checking that it really is the second
edition. The cover (paperback) is maroonish; on the front it says "PLAY THE
FRENCH (New Edition)" - there is no mention of "second" on the cover. It is
223 pages long and was published in 1996. I am sure that it really is the
second edition though, since one of the chapters is called "Introduction to
the Second Edition".

Regards,
Arfur

Thank you very much.

I had an intersting discussion in the London Chess + Bridge Centre the
other day. I asked for the second edition, but was told the 3rd was an
update. I had a job point out that this is not so, and there are lines
in the 1st and 2nd editions which are not in the 3rd. I managed to find
a paragraph where Watson says he did not want to repeat what is in the
earlier edition. I'm still not conviced the guy really believed me.

I have the 1st and 3rd, but would like to get the second.

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database
Old August 17th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On 17 Aug, 08:26, "Dave (from the UK)" [email protected]
below.com wrote:
Arfur Million wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

I have the 2nd and 3rd editions. I really like the 2nd, but no so much
the 3rd. It could just be that the lines he advocates don't appeal to
me, but it seems to me that he did put a bit more effort into the 2nd.
Mind you, the 2nd is over 10 years old now, and theory does change in
that time (even in the French).

Good luck in getting hold of a copy.

Regards,
Arfur

Old August 20th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

below.com wrote:
Arfur Million wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

The second has 'New edition' on the spine. The first was white with
red band at top, I think. If you are a completist, then yes, all are
worth getting. If in doubt the dates inside will help./I do not
recommend Watson's purple Dangerous Weapons French book. Very dodgy.

James Pratt (Basingstoke!)