Old July 1st 03, 07:09 AM
Roman M. Parparov

Default Class Players?

Kevin Croxen wrote:
In article , t. runi wrote:

"Candidate Master" came into official use to replace the older term
"Expert" across the same rating range: 2000-2199. Why, I'm not sure.
Perhaps the politicos thought "Candidate Master" sounded more
professional, since it was an exact translation of the Soviet rank that
existed between "First Category" and "Master".

i remember reading somewhere that in the old soviet system, the
ratings one needed to attain to be called "candidate master" and
"master" were higher than the respective 2000 and 2200 we see as
western benchmarks today.

In the old old Soviet days, there weren't ratings at all and one moved up
by winning tournaments at the lower category. I'm not certain whether ELO
was ever used for the Soviet category system.

ELO was used in Soviet chess starting from the Candidate Master rank.

A 1st Category player had to score 2 Candidate norms in two 1st Category
tournaments (which was 75% score) and a norm in mixed Candidate/1st
Category tourney, where there are at least 50% of players of higher
category.

The new Candidate was given a 2200 rating.

To become a Master you had to score 2 Master norms in two tournaments
where Masters and GMs are at least 50% of players (the norm is 55% against
Masters, 75% against Candidates, 35% again GMs) AND have a rating of
2300.

For purely calculative reasons 1st Category players sometimes were
assigned fixed ratings of 2100 (regular 1st), 2150 (1st + 1 Candidate norm),
2175 (1st + 2 Candidate norms)

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il
Old July 1st 03, 02:16 PM
Kevin Croxen

In article , Roman M. Parparov wrote:
Kevin Croxen wrote:
In article , t. runi wrote:

[...]

Thanks for clearing that up. Out of curiosity, do you happen to recall
approximately what year the Soviets began using ELO as an element of the
Master title? Couldn't have been before 1973, because they didn't sign on
to FIDE's use of ELO until then.

--Kevin
Old July 1st 03, 09:03 PM
Roman M. Parparov

Kevin Croxen wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. Out of curiosity, do you happen to recall
approximately what year the Soviets began using ELO as an element of the
Master title? Couldn't have been before 1973, because they didn't sign on
to FIDE's use of ELO until then.

--Kevin

I don't have any idea.
I know that in 1983 it was used.