Old September 5th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default Pal Benko's Endgame Laboratory has just been published today

Pal Benko's Endgame Laboratory has just been published today

Take a look at http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891889

Old September 5th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
SBD SBD is offline

On Sep 5, 10:34 am, samsloan wrote:
Pal Benko's Endgame Laboratory has just been published today

Take a look athttp://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891889

Sam, is this a new collection of updated columns or the one some of us
purchased some years ago?

I would buy either, since my old copies fell apart some years ago and
are preserved in a loose-leaf notebook, but more description of the
product would be nice.

Old September 5th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Sep 5, 1:37 pm, SBD wrote:
On Sep 5, 10:34 am, samsloan wrote:

Pal Benko's Endgame Laboratory has just been published today

Take a look athttp://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891889

Sam, is this a new collection of updated columns or the one some of us
purchased some years ago?

I would buy either, since my old copies fell apart some years ago and
are preserved in a loose-leaf notebook, but more description of the
product would be nice.

The Benko book consists of all his Endgame Lab columns in Chess Life
magazine for the years 1981 through 1986.

They have been re-formatted into a 6x9 book two columns wide.

He wants me to put all his columns into book form. I plan to do that,
but it will take me a year in view of the large number of columns he
has written. I plan to publish it in about 5 volumes of a little over
200 pages each.

Old September 5th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Sep 5, 1:37 pm, SBD wrote:
On Sep 5, 10:34 am, samsloan wrote:

Pal Benko's Endgame Laboratory has just been published today

Take a look athttp://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891889

Sam, is this a new collection of updated columns or the one some of us
purchased some years ago?

I would buy either, since my old copies fell apart some years ago and
are preserved in a loose-leaf notebook, but more description of the
product would be nice.

I believe that you are probably referring to the 8.5 x 11 bound
photocopies of his old columns. These are referred to as the "Gray
Book" and the "Green Book".

Benko used to sell these at his lectures which is probably where you
obtained yours.

Unfortunately, Benko sold out of these several years ago and the man
who made them for him has changed jobs and lacks the capacity to make
any more.

My book just printed today is re-formatted into a 6x9 book plus it has
a table of contents and an index which the Gray Book and the Green
Book did not have. The Gray Book covered the years 1981 to 1990 so
every column in my book is also in the Gray Book but I feel that you
will find my book to be much more useful because it will fit on a
normal bookshelf and it is better bound, has a much better cover, has
a brief biography and pictures of Benko, has a table of contents and
an index and will not fall apart over time as you report has happened
to your copy of the Gray Book.

Old September 6th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
Rob Rob is offline

On Sep 5, 5:42 pm, samsloan wrote:
On Sep 5, 1:37 pm, SBD wrote:

[...]

Sam Sloan

Point #1:

I defended Louis Blairs censureship of Sams postings on WIkipedia..

Point#2:

I questioned SLoansactions and HIPPA and EEOC violations leading him
to be censured and pubically reprimanded by the board.

Point#3:

I questioned SLoan about the material on his website and pointed out
how tastless and offensive it is to many people and degrading to women
and children.

Sloan then banned me from posting in his newsgroup yet he still sends
me emails from his newsgroup! I have requested he cease many times. If
I get any more solicitations from his group without an opportunity to
respond I will contact YAHOO and begim actions to having his group
disolved.

Below is the latest email from his group.
################################################## #############
From: "samhsloan" Add to Address BookAdd to
Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was sent by
yahoogroups.com. Learn more
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:44:15 -0000
Subject: [fide-chess] Pal Benko's Endgame Laboratory has
just been
published

On Sep 5, 1:37 pm, SBD [email protected] com wrote:

On Sep 5, 10:34 am, samsloan [email protected] com wrote:

[...]

__._,_.___

Old September 6th 07, 09:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

samsloan writes:
I believe that you are probably referring to the 8.5 x 11 bound
photocopies of his old columns. These are referred to as the "Gray
Book" and the "Green Book".

Benko used to sell these at his lectures which is probably where you
obtained yours.

Unfortunately, Benko sold out of these several years ago and the man
who made them for him has changed jobs and lacks the capacity to make
any more.

That guy had the only xerox machine in the world? I doubt it.
Old September 6th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess
Rob Rob is offline

On Sep 6, 3:16 am, Paul Rubin wrote:
samsloan writes:
I believe that you are probably referring to the 8.5 x 11 bound
photocopies of his old columns. These are referred to as the "Gray
Book" and the "Green Book".

Benko used to sell these at his lectures which is probably where you
obtained yours.

Unfortunately, Benko sold out of these several years ago and the man
who made them for him has changed jobs and lacks the capacity to make
any more.

That guy had the only xerox machine in the world? I doubt it.

Paul, don't shine the light of truth too closely on Mohamed's
freakishly stupid claims. It might scare the bats in his belfry and we
would have more guano from him that is usual!

LOL

Rob (Which-Mitch)

Old September 6th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Sep 6, 4:16 am, Paul Rubin wrote:
samsloan writes:
I believe that you are probably referring to the 8.5 x 11 bound
photocopies of his old columns. These are referred to as the "Gray
Book" and the "Green Book".

Benko used to sell these at his lectures which is probably where you
obtained yours.

Unfortunately, Benko sold out of these several years ago and the man
who made them for him has changed jobs and lacks the capacity to make
any more.

That guy had the only xerox machine in the world? I doubt it.

The "Gray Book" of Benko columns had 254 pages. Just to photocopy that
at five cents a page would cost $12.70. Plus it had a basic cover and
perfect binding but no introduction, no index, no table of contents,
no pictures, no biography of Benko, no ISBN number and no barcode.

Nowadays, most bookstores will not accept a book for sales without an
ISBN number and a barcode.

In short, it would have made no economic sense to try to reproduce the
Gray Book.

The Gray Book also did not have a very attractive appearance. My book
was created by scanning the original Chess Life articles with a very
high resolution 600 dpi scanner. It is also cheaper to produce as it
is mass produced.

However, it took a massive amount of work to get it done as every page
had to be re-formatted to get it onto 6x9. So the question of whether
I will do volume 2 which would cover the years 1987 through 1993 will
depend on the success of this volume.

I have just uploaded the cover to Amazon this morning so you can take
another look now to see what it looks like.

Old September 6th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

[...]

The Gray Book also did not have a very attractive appearance. My book
was created by scanning the original Chess Life articles with a very
high resolution 600 dpi scanner.

LOL - very high resolution? Would you like to know why the result
looks so shoddy?

Old September 6th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

samsloan writes:
Benko used to sell these at his lectures which is probably where you
obtained yours.

Unfortunately, Benko sold out of these several years ago and the man
who made them for him has changed jobs and lacks the capacity to make
any more.

That guy had the only xerox machine in the world? I doubt it.

The "Gray Book" of Benko columns had 254 pages. Just to photocopy that
at five cents a page would cost $12.70. Plus it had a basic cover and
perfect binding but no introduction, no index, no table of contents,
no pictures, no biography of Benko, no ISBN number and no barcode.

Nowadays, most bookstores will not accept a book for sales without an
ISBN number and a barcode.

Benko gave all of his lectures in bookstores? I doubt that. Anyway,
photocopying would have been around 2 cents a page with the tiniest
bit of shopping, and even a dork like you has got the ISBN thing
figured out. There is even something called "teh Google" which finds

http://booksjustbooks.com/bookreques...stestimate.asp

in about 15 seconds. That quotes $6.93/copy for 500 copies, $4.03 for
1000 copies, 8.5" by 11", 256 pages perfect bound, 1-color cover. And
that's with no shopping or anything.

The Gray Book also did not have a very attractive appearance. My book
was created by scanning the original Chess Life articles with a very
high resolution 600 dpi scanner. It is also cheaper to produce as it
is mass produced.

However, it took a massive amount of work to get it done as every page
had to be re-formatted to get it onto 6x9. So the question of whether
I will do volume 2 which would cover the years 1987 through 1993 will
depend on the success of this volume.

Why not print it at full size then. Sheesh.