Old September 20th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,soc.culture.austria

Default Jude Acers is playing in the World Senior Championship in Austria

I have been closely following the progress of Jude Acers at the World
Senior Championship now taking place in Austria.

I have even set up a Wikipedia page to make it easier to follow Acers'
games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jude_Acers

Please note, Louis Blair, a FOC member here, has a history of
complaining to Wikipedia administrators every time I post a chess
biography or any information about chess to Wikipedia and getting my
chess biographies deleted.

For that reason, it has become my policy to keep secret any chess
information I post to Wikipedia, so that Louis Blair will not find out
about it.

I hope that this time Louis Blair will have the common decency not to
try to get my Jude Acers biography deleted from Wikipedia until at
least the chess tournament is over.

Old September 23rd 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,soc.culture.austria

I can hardly say otherwise since he won our single tournament game.
Then Mike Goodall, a 2000 player (and a major good guy) beat him in
the same event and Jude dropped out to preserve his rating from a
drop.

I find it amusing that Sam Sloan presumes to write Jude's bio. I
know 3 of Jude's Louisiana friends and could write a definitive
and true biography IF I were motivated.

Which brings me to Dirty Jim. I pulled out your book today and
will work on his bio dilligently during what promises to be a
long winter (strangely, harsh winters are part of global warming).
Tell Jim this and tell him to get a *$&%^+# internet connection.

Amici sumus, Max

website: (inactive)

email:

snailmail:
Max Burkett
633-B Minnesota Av
East Missoula, MT
59802 (USA)

telephone:
406-728-6198 (USA)

My "bio" of Jude Acers is simply a shell, set up to encourage others
to contribute.

Already, several other Wikipedia editors have made changes and
additions.

Meanwhile, there is the usual collection of Wikipedia assholes who
know nothing about chess and go around trying to delete everything
that others post.

Already they have challenged my biography of "Captain" Bill Hook and
are demanding to know why he is sufficiently notable to be included in
Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Hook

The same Wikipedia asshole is getting ready to delete the biography of
International Master Bernard Zuckerman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Zuckerman

That is why it is helpful for others to go in and add to these
biographies.

That means YOU.

Old September 23rd 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,soc.culture.austria

This guy at Wikipedia has gone nuts.

He has already gotten Mig Greengard deleted.

Take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mig_Greengard

Now he wants to delete former Chess Life editor Burt Hochberg and
International Master Bernard Zuckerman and who knows who else.

Just one looney in Wikipedia can cause an incredible amount of damage.

Old September 23rd 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,soc.culture.austria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_ta...#Running_Amuck

Running Amuck

This guy is running amuck. Already he has gotten the biography of Mig
Greengard deleted. Now, he is targeting the biographies of Carmine
Nigro (who taught chess to Bobby Fischer), Burt Hochberg (former Chess
Life Editor), International Master Bernard Zuckerman, and Bill Hook
(author and long time captain of the British Virgin Island Chess
Team).

The guy is out of control. Somebody needs to reign him in. Sam Sloan
21:15, 23 September 2007 (UTC)

Old September 23rd 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,soc.culture.austria

On Sep 23, 3:56 pm, samsloan wrote:

Just one looney in Wikipedia can cause an incredible amount of damage.

Sam Sloan

The irony of this statement coming from Sam Sloan is positively
Innesian.

Old September 25th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,soc.culture.austria
LSD LSD is offline

At the approximate date and time Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:56:54 -0700,
someone posting as samsloan posted:

This guy at Wikipedia has gone nuts.

He has already gotten Mig Greengard deleted.

Take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mig_Greengard

Now he wants to delete former Chess Life editor Burt Hochberg and
International Master Bernard Zuckerman and who knows who else.

Just one looney in Wikipedia can cause an incredible amount of damage.

Indeed. Ever wonder why you frequently face stiff (and often
collaborative) opposition to your actions?

....things that make you go "hmmmm".
Old September 26th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,soc.culture.austria

{{Chess-WikiProject|class=|importance=}}

Bill Smythe writes in the USCF Forum: by Smythe Dakota on Sun Sep 23,
2007 9:43 pm #70745
Jude Acers was given a 2399 ceiling by then-ED Edmund Edmondson. I
remember, because I worked at the USCF office in Newburgh in the
summer of 1972, helping to catch up on ratings. I saw the notation on
Acers' rating card. Bill Smythe. [[User:Sam Sloan|Sam Sloan]] 09:39,
24 September 2007 (UTC)
:That's first-person anecdotal, and doesn't met the citation
guidelines. Note that I think it's probably true, but it's not
provably true from a reliable secondary source. [[User:Eddore|Eddore]]
22:18, 25 September 2007 (UTC)
::This is a problem in general with Wikipedia. Bill Smythe was
employed as a rating statistician with the [[USCF]] and he would know
the ultimate truth of the matter. Moreover, it was well known
throughout the USCF that there was a "Jude Acers Rule" which provided
that your rating could not go over 2399 by playing matches. Take a
look at the tournament where the rating of Acers finally gained one
point to reach 2400 ref http://main.uschess.org/assets/msa_j...258240-1047367
/ref. Now, take a look at his opponents. All of them played only in
Jude Acers tournaments. Now look at their USCF membership dates which
is usually the same date as the tournament. This shows that Jude Acers
signed them up for a "tournament membership" which existed at that
time and was recently reinstated in one of the foolish moves by Billy
G., where you could buy a tournament membership for as little as one
dollar per game.
::The main point here is that this "Jude Acers Rule" was very well
known to tournament chess players but it was, of course, never
published officially in Chess Life, so it will never meet the
standards of Wikipedia. ~~~~

Old September 29th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,soc.culture.austria

[quote="MikeMurray"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lux
What's Jude's FIDE rating after
this?

All the best, Joe Lux
I'll bet it's high enough to make Sam eat a few words. Heh, Heh.[/
quote]

Yes. I admit that. Turns out that Jude Acers is much stronger than I
thought he was, and is about as strong as he claims to be.

Perhaps he did beat me legitimately in round 4 of the 1963 US
Intercollegiate Championship in Notre Dame University after all.