Old November 19th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer, rec.games.chess.politics

Default Nomorechess Suggestions implemented at GetClub.

Nomorechess suggested me that GetClub Chess should look for Defence
moves and also look ahead when something is captured or King gets
Check.

His technique was implemented. But it looks like its depth has gone
very down. Earlier it used to go upto 6 level deep now it goes till
only 2-3 level deep.

Lets test with your games and see if this helps the gameplay.

If it makes even weaker moves this modification will be removed.
However, If this improvement gives more wins to GetClub Chess then it
will be kept as it is.

So Help Bot, how are you feeling the gameplay after this improvement.
Are you finding GetClub Chess Stronger or it has become weaker by this
improvement. As depth of search has reduced from 5-6 to 2-3.

Play a few games with Beginner, Easy & Normal Levels and let me know
your opinion. Should I remove this Check & Capture Extension or keep
it. As the depth has gone down from 5-6 to only 2-3 {on Easy Level}

Bye
Sanny

Old November 19th 07, 08:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Nov 19, 2:04 am, Sanny wrote:

Nomorechess suggested me that GetClub Chess should look for Defence
moves and also look ahead when something is captured or King gets
Check.

His technique was implemented. But it looks like its depth has gone
very down. Earlier it used to go upto 6 level deep now it goes till
only 2-3 level deep.

That's quite a drop.

So Help Bot, how are you feeling the gameplay after this improvement.
Are you finding GetClub Chess Stronger or it has become weaker by this
improvement. As depth of search has reduced from 5-6 to 2-3.

Well, a couple days ago I was watching "Smallville" on
DVD when the GetClub program resigned for me, where
I was clearly winning. I was not surprised, but it sort of
takes the fun out of it when you spend all that time and
then POOF, are awarded a loss for your efforts. That
was against the Master level, I think.

More recently, I played one game against Beginner
level and demolished the program, a miniature I think.

My perspective is that there is a huge difference in
strength between the Beginner level and the higher
levels, but I can't say if or when the tactical search
extensions were implemented.

What I can say is that even if Java applets are very
slow compared to normal chess programs, there is no
good reason the program should be reaching only 2 or
3 plies even with all the search extensions in the world.
Something must be wrong with the implementation of
this idea:

1) You must have a limit, a cut-off point so that when
there are perpetual checks, you don't keep going like
the Energizer Bunny.

2) Even programs which normally have no trouble
searching deeply, sometimes bog down when it comes
to pawn promotions. Others suffer no significant
problems, so it is all in how you implement the idea,
and the same principle may apply to other tricky moves
like castling and /en passant/ captures.

My commentaries regarding the program's sharp
attacks yet weak defense were intended to convey
information which might be used to eradicate
weaknesses; but it is unwise to play purely
defensively, for then even a weak human opponent
may be able to slowly overwhelm the program
strategically. It is essential that the program get
into tactical complications often enough to allow
the computer to do what computers do best:
calculate more accurately than any human can!

-- help bot

Old November 19th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Nov 19, 1:32 pm, help bot wrote:
On Nov 19, 2:04 am, Sanny wrote:

[...]

Yes only after 10-20 Games are played by players, I will know that
this improvement is fruitful or not. I tried one game with Jester. The
program was in advantage but later got under Mate Threath. Then I
played a Game myself with Beginner Level It easily beat me. So I think
It is unclear whether the game has improved or detoriated.

It is only after strong players beat it then I will know how it is
performing.

Bye
Sanny

Old November 24th 07, 09:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer, rec.games.chess.politics

"Momorechess Suggestions implemented at GetClub".

Finally GetClub has given up on chess. This
decision was long overdue.

Wlod
Old November 24th 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer, rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 24, 4:34 am, "Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)"
wrote:

Finally GetClub has given up on chess. This
decision was long overdue.

Most observers predicted that Sanny's contraption would
never make it this far, but alas, they have now been proved
wrong in terms of playing strength. All that remains is to
make the confounded machine play chess according to
Hoyle: recognition of draws, an end to King captures, and
no more randomly-generated "resignations" of its human
opponents.

One area which is difficult to comprehend is the hit-or-miss
approach to opening play; if a sequence of moves is in the
book, the program now responds instantly, but sometimes
the program is out of its book at move one. Another oddity
is that when the program has but one legal move, it has no
clue and considers its option -- singular -- deeply. As far
as I can determine, the legality of moves takes last -- not
first -- priority; it's like when you're buying a new car, and the
dealer asks if you want to "add on" floor mats.

-- help bot