Old November 30th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer, rec.games.chess.politics

Default GetClub Chess further improved.

GetClub Game was further improved. The old trick that nomorechess
suggested is not working as it lost 5/5 games. It lost to stykumb who
was unable to win earlier. So that improvement has been removed.

Now it will think much deeper. And only the Beginner Level will play a
simple game. Higher Level will play much stronger.

Bye
Sanny

Old November 30th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer, rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 30, 6:09 am, Sanny wrote:
GetClub Game was further improved. The old trick that nomorechess
suggested is not working as it lost 5/5 games. It lost to stykumb who
was unable to win earlier. So that improvement has been removed.

That "trick", as Sanny calls it, is standard practice in all
decent chess programs since the middle ages; whenever
there is a check or a capture, the search is deepened
until a quiet position is reached (or at least until a certain
cutoff depth) to enable more accurate calculation of
exchanges and mating attacks.

Implemented *correctly*, this technique I would expect
adds hundreds of rating points worth in tactical strength;
done wrong, it is impossible to determine the potential
damage. You see, unlike stupidity, genius has its
limits.

-- help bot
Old December 1st 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer, rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 30, 6:09 am, Sanny wrote:

Play Chess at:http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

Now it will think much deeper. And only the Beginner Level will play a
simple game. Higher Level will play much stronger.

As far as I can see, whatever level I'm playing now
is unbeatable (and undrawable, and unloseable); I
still have just a King, versus a King and Knight, and
the program still refuses to move, out of sheer
stubbornness. I have the King cut off, and the Knight
is on the run; it's only a matter of time before I get to
one or the other; you can run, but you can't hide.

-- killer bot
Old December 2nd 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer, rec.games.chess.politics

On Nov 30, 5:26 pm, help bot wrote:
On Nov 30, 6:09 am, Sanny wrote:

GetClubGame was further improved. The old trick that nomorechess
suggested is not working as it lost 5/5 games. It lost to stykumb who
was unable to win earlier. So that improvement has been removed.

That "trick", as Sanny calls it, is standard practice in all
decentchessprograms since the middle ages; whenever
there is a check or a capture, the search is deepened
until a quiet position is reached (or at least until a certain
cutoff depth) to enable more accurate calculation of
exchanges and mating attacks.

Yes your technique is good but the way my programmers implemented it
reduced its depth to 2 level deep. So When there is a move with no
Check/ Capture it played the moves with just 2 level depth. and it
lost all the matches it played.

Now it has been removed. And it will be done soon again with better
technique. as current implementation made it play very bad.

Implemented *correctly*, this technique I would expect
adds hundreds of rating points worth in tactical strength;
done wrong, it is impossible to determine the potential
damage. You see, unlike stupidity, genius has its
limits.

-- help bot

Play a few games with Easy & Normal Level & see if it needs Check &
Capture. If yes then it will be again added but this time using a new
method that will not reduce its depth of search.

Bye
Sanny

Old December 2nd 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer, rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 1, 11:20 am, help bot wrote:
On Nov 30, 6:09 am, Sanny wrote:

PlayChessat:http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

Now it will think much deeper. And only the Beginner Level will play a
simple game. Higher Level will play much stronger.

As far as I can see, whatever level I'm playing now
is unbeatable (and undrawable, and unloseable); I
still have just a King, versus a King and Knight, and
the program still refuses to move, out of sheer
stubbornness. I have the King cut off, and the Knight
is on the run; it's only a matter of time before I get to
one or the other; you can run, but you can't hide.

You only have a King, Then you have to press the Resign Button as
there is no way out.

Bye
Sanny

Old December 2nd 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 2, 12:37 am, Sanny wrote:

[...]

How? I am still fighting for my life in a position
which should have been detected by the program
as an "insufficient mating material draw". I can't
move, I can't resign because it's not my turn, and
I can't lose unless and until another fluke auto-
termination occurs, zapping my rating like before.

Somewhere on the 'net there are articles which
explain precisely how the check-and-capture
extensions work, and how to implement them.
If I had the expertise, I would explain it here (or
rather, in rgc.computers) for you. To put things
into perspective, back in the 1980s there were
tabletop chess computers which would give the
current GetClub program a run for its money
despite their having unimaginably little memory
and speed by today's standards. This was the
jump to light speed we humans had been waiting
for.

-- help bot

Old December 2nd 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Nov 30, 6:09 am, Sanny wrote:

PlayChessat:http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

Now it will think much deeper. And only the Beginner Level will play a
simple game. Higher Level will play much stronger.

As far as I can see, whatever level I'm playing now
is unbeatable (and undrawable, and unloseable); I
still have just a King, versus a King and Knight, and
the program still refuses to move, out of sheer
stubbornness. I have the King cut off, and the Knight
is on the run; it's only a matter of time before I get to
one or the other; you can run, but you can't hide.

You only have a King, Then you have to press the Resign Button as
there is no way out.

LOL!

Sanny, the rules of chess dictate that the instant
the position got to K vs. K & N, the game was a
draw by insufficient mating material. I have no beef
with quirks like King capture in place of checkmate,
but this is something your programmers need to fix,
in order to even approximate legal chess.

Once again, the "resigns" button is not an option,
because it is not my turn to move and thus, that
button is not even on the screen.

Your program inexplicably goes brain-dead at
times, and I think it may have something to do
with potential repetitions of position, nearness to
checkmate or stalemate-- something along those
lines.

Besides, I still think I can win... . ;D

-- help bot

Old December 2nd 07, 09:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

How? I am still fighting for my life in a position
which should have been detected by the program
as an "insufficient mating material draw". I can't
move, I can't resign because it's not my turn, and
I can't lose unless and until another fluke auto-
termination occurs, zapping my rating like before.

It happens sometime that the program keeps thinking forever in such
case Just restart and the Program will make move in time.

Begiiner will take Less than 30 Seconds always.
Easy will take Less than 100 Seconds always.
Normal will take Less than 480 Seconds always.
Master will take Less than 1900 Seconds always.

If any level takes more time than Stated above it means the program
has crashed and its better to restart the game.

Bye
Sanny

Old December 2nd 07, 09:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Nov 30, 6:09 am, Sanny wrote:

[...]

-- help bot- Hide quoted text -

Old December 3rd 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc, alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 2, 4:42 am, Sanny wrote:

How? I am still fighting for my life in a position
which should have been detected by the program
as an "insufficient mating material draw". I can't
move, I can't resign because it's not my turn, and
I can't lose unless and until another fluke auto-
termination occurs, zapping my rating like before.

It happens sometime that the program keeps thinking forever in such
case Just restart and the Program will make move in time.

Begiiner will take Less than 30 Seconds always.
Easy will take Less than 100 Seconds always.
Normal will take Less than 480 Seconds always.
Master will take Less than 1900 Seconds always.

If any level takes more time than Stated above it means the program
has crashed and its better to restart the game.

This particular position has been restarted
countless times. What happens is this: the
fan kicks on, indicating heavy usage of the
processor (i.e. "thinking"); then, about two or
three seconds afterwards, the fan goes off, as
if the program were about to play a move. But
it never does; it just sits there. It's the same
every time, and because of that I think the
program has somehow found its way to a dead
end.

Like I said, the program is unbeatable now. :D

-- help bot