Old December 31st 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc, rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Washington Square Park

I went to Washington Square Park today to see if I could find some
blitz chess.
I read in several books about all the players that play chess at the
tables there and I saw players in that movie "Searching for Bobby
Fischer."
But today I went and saw only 2 people there playing.
One guy was sitting at the table telling me that he charged $10 per
game minimum. The other guy refused to play me.
What happened to all this glory about the park? I did not see any
chess players as described in all those books and movies.

Old January 1st 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc, rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 31 2007, 6:47*pm, Alex wrote:
I went to Washington Square Park today to see if I could find some
blitz chess.
I read in several books about all the players that play chess at the
tables there and I saw players in that movie "Searching for Bobby
Fischer."
But today I went and saw only 2 people there playing.
One guy was sitting at the table telling me that he charged $10 per
game minimum. *The other guy refused to play me.
What happened to all this glory about the park? *I did not see any
chess players as described in all those books and movies.

You probably would have been better off going to 23 W 10th St. to the
Marshall Chess Club.They usually have some type of New Year's Eve
tournament.It has been a while since I have played in the city.Having
only 2 players is not typical but asking for the fees,well perhaps
that is why the turnout is so low.I used to go to a place on Thompson
and Bleeker street (forgot the name of the place but it was a nice
place to play).
Old January 1st 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

dunno where they all went, but then again, even washington has a winter - my
daughter said she has seen all the suits pouring out of the buildings at
lunch time - and playing the hustlers, sometimes for a few bucks sometimes
for $100 - and people making even bigger side-bets

anyway - wait till the cherries bloom again, and there they will be - dunno
why someone refused to play you, except he is a pro, and wants to see you
play someone else first?

phil