Old January 22nd 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Is a handshake really a big deal?

I don't understand why you have shake hands with your opponent before
you play a rated FIDE game?? Also, Topalov and Kramnik did not shake
hands before their game and there was no protest.

Does that mean if I play in the world open or other FIDE rated event
in the USA, can I complain to the TD if my opponent refuses to shake
my hand before or after the game???

Old January 23rd 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Alex wrote:
I don't understand why you have shake hands with your opponent before
you play a rated FIDE game?? Also, Topalov and Kramnik did not shake
hands before their game and there was no protest.

Does that mean if I play in the world open or other FIDE rated event
in the USA, can I complain to the TD if my opponent refuses to shake
my hand before or after the game???

1) There is a specific FIDE regulation about this. I think it's ill-
advised, but it's there. 2) Short complained to the arbiter (which is
why I'm not too sympathetic about his having to play the game on what
should have been a rest day). Presumably Kramnik and Topalov showed
better sense and did not. 3) You can certainly try this in a U.S.
tournament. I don't advise it. Most TDs will tell you to sit down and
play the game.
Old January 23rd 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:

Alex wrote:
I don't understand why you have shake hands with your opponent before
you play a rated FIDE game?? Also, Topalov and Kramnik did not shake
hands before their game and there was no protest.

Does that mean if I play in the world open or other FIDE rated event
in the USA, can I complain to the TD if my opponent refuses to shake
my hand before or after the game???

1) There is a specific FIDE regulation about this. I think it's ill-
advised, but it's there. 2) Short complained to the arbiter (which is
why I'm not too sympathetic about his having to play the game on what
should have been a rest day). Presumably Kramnik and Topalov showed
better sense and did not. 3) You can certainly try this in a U.S.
tournament. I don't advise it. Most TDs will tell you to sit down and
play the game.

Mr. Hillery,

I apologize in advance, but I find these bizarre FIDE legalisms
fascinating. Hypothetical: what if Short complained to the arbiter
about Kramnik and Topalov not shaking... Could he have had them both
forfeited for being generally rude and poor sportsmen?

On another tack, what if one opponent bows while the other offers his
hand? Then they both complain...
--

Cordially,
Rev. J.D. Walker, MsD, U.C.
Old January 23rd 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis, rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

J.D. Walker wrote:
wrote:

Alex wrote:
[...]

1) I don't think a third party would have standing to complain if
neither of the players did so.

2) According to an article on the FIDE web site, "Any player who does
not shake hands with the opponent (or greets the opponent in a normal
social manner in accordance with the conventional rules of their
society) before the game starts in a FIDE tournament or during a FIDE
match (and does not do it after being asked to do so by the arbiter)
or deliberately insults his/her opponent or the officials of the
event, will immediately and finally lose the relevant game." So bowing
would be OK if it was "in accordance with the conventional rules of
(the player's) society."

I think a forfeit under the circumstances was excessive (as did the
appeals committee), but it seems clear that Cheparinov _did_ intend to
"deliberately insult" his opponent, and he deserved some penalty.