Old July 4th 03, 07:16 AM
Smc080178

Default The Art of Chess Visualization

I know of three books (although you did not acknowledge others who recommended
books)
The first two have already bee mentioned. The Inner Game of Chess by Soltis
actually addresses one of the things you mentioned in the first chapter. That
you can not visualize the whole board at once. It also has excersizes to help
you improve your vision. I would recommend using the technique in that book,
but doing your own games first since the positions are easier to visualize.

The second is "Practical Chess Analysis"/ That is the book by Buckley. The
first two chapters are "training the mind's eye" and "developing intuition'

The third book I can recommend is probably the one that is best for your
problem and should be read first. It is "Rapid Chess Improvement" and it is one
of the best books I have seen on the subject. It is much more practical and
gives more excersizes while the other are more instructions on how to think.I
dont remeber the author. That is one of the few chess books the local library
has, so I did not buy it.

That reminds me of a 4th book. "Thin Like a Grandmaster" by Alexander Kotov is
another book I have that is very good on the subject, but is not the one I was
thinking of.....I cant seem to find it. It is sad I have so many chess books.
If only I had read them all
Old July 6th 03, 04:44 AM
Entropyfoe

Yes these are all good books, but the best practice ins to get a book of
tatical problems, there are many, Like "Winning chess, how to see three moves
ahead, by Chernev an d Reinfeld. If you go through the book a few times,
covering the answere on eqach one, and finding winning line. Those you are
stumped, or get a false solution, mark with an X. After you go through the
book once, go again and pick all the x positions, etc.
The key is not only, as many previous posters have mentioned, seeing x moves
deep. but selecting the appropriate candidates, that you are understang the
position, realizing the possibilities within it.
entr0pyf0e