Old July 15th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Tough defense to crack

1.e4 e5; 2 Nf3 Qe7 .................. better than it looks. Does it
have a name?

Old July 15th 08, 10:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Old Haasie wrote:

1.e4 e5; 2 Nf3 Qe7 .................. better than it looks. Does it
have a name?

A couple more moves and it would classify as the Latvian or Elephant
gambit according to Chessbase. Seems to me like white can just develop
his pieces normally and black will eventually pay the price for a loss
of tempo in the opening.

Shredder was not happy playing black against the attack I got after
something like:

3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bc4 d6 5. O-O Bg4
4. d3 d6 also looks OK
or
3. Bc4 c6 4. O-O h6 5. d4 d6
which looks the most dangerous

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old July 15th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jul 15, 5:32*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
Old Haasie wrote:
1.e4 e5; 2 Nf3 Qe7 .................. *better than it looks. *Does it
have a name?

A couple more moves and it would classify as the Latvian or Elephant
gambit according to Chessbase. Seems to me like white can just develop
his pieces normally and black will eventually pay the price for a loss
of tempo in the opening.

Shredder was not happy playing black against the attack I got after
something like:

3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bc4 d6 5. O-O Bg4
* * * * * * 4. d3 d6 also looks OK
or
3. Bc4 c6 *4. O-O h6 5. d4 d6
which looks the most dangerous

Regards,
Martin Brown
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I've played the 2... Qe7 many times on ICC versus my (1800ish) peers
and actually have a slight plus score with it. I play black to
maintain a pawn at e5 for as long as possible and a pawn at c6 to deny
the d5 square to the white knight. Once the black pawns are on e5,
d6, and c6, I move the black queen to c7 where it reinforces the e5
square. Although white gets a big lead in devevelopment he can't do
much with it in the opening. Eventually black catches up his
development and reaches an equal middlegame.
Old July 15th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

In article ,
Old Haasie wrote:
1.e4 e5; 2 Nf3 Qe7 .................. better than it looks. Does it
have a name?

"Gunderam Defence" is the name I remembered from an old issue of
_Randspringer_, and a Google on that name turns up various references.

I see some coverage on (correspondence master) Jon Edwards's website,
starting at "http://www.queensac.com/gunderam.html", which suggests
why one might prefer the Philidor, and links to a small collection of
master games with the line. Enjoy!

-ed g.

--
Caissa have mercy on a miserable patzer: http://altergoniff.blogspot.com
Old July 18th 08, 12:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Martin Brown wrote:
Old Haasie wrote:
1.e4 e5; 2 Nf3 Qe7 .................. better than it looks. Does it
have a name?

A couple more moves and it would classify as the Latvian or Elephant
gambit according to Chessbase.

Only by transposition. The Latvian is characterized by 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3
f5 and the elephant is 2... d5.

3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bc4 d6 5. O-O Bg4
4. d3 d6 also looks OK
or
3. Bc4 c6 4. O-O h6 5. d4 d6

None of these lines is a Latvian or elephant, for example.

Paul Onstad's ECO listing gives 2... Qe7 as the Brazilian or Gunderam
defence.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Old-Fashioned Drink (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a refreshing juice beverage but it's

Old July 19th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Black's 2... Qe7 costs him a tempo but little else. Black gets behind
in development only for a short while and in positions which white
cannot exploit to any grreat effect. Black eventually arrives at the
middle game fully equal. Remember ... black plays to keep a pawn on
e5 and one on c6. Once black plays a pawn to d6 he moves the BQ to
c7. It is a fairly easy defense to play and white gets little if any
advantage.