Old December 14th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Default Elista Diaries by Anatoly Karpov and Ron Henley is available atBarnes and Noble

Elista Diaries by Anatoly Karpov and Ron Henley is now available at
Barnes and Noble bookstores everywhere.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...ean=0923891978

This book has been updated, with analysis of games played by Anand on
his way to winning the World Chess Championship in Mexico City.

The book is also available online.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891978

Elista Diaries is the classic first-hand account of one of the most
intensely fought World Chess Championship matches seen for decades.
The World Champion and his chief trainer deeply annotate all of the
games from the 1996 World Championship Match. In the first chapter,
the authors pay tribute to all the World Champions (from Morphy to the
present day) by analyzing their favorite games played by the great
chess artists who have, each in turn, captured the Chess Crown. Karpov
includes seven of his own favorite and brilliant games from the period
1992-1996. Subsequent chapters deal with Kamsky's 1993-1995 progress
to the finals, previous Karpov-Kamsky encounters (dating from 1991)
and the 1995 Karpov-Gelfand Candidates Match. Anatoly Karpov was World
Chess Champion from 1975 to 1985, regained the title in 1993 and
defended it successfully in 1996 and 1998. He has played more games
and more matches for the World Chess Championship than anybody else.
He has won 161 grandmaster tournaments, more than anybody else. He has
won more games against grandmasters than anybody else. Grandmaster Ron
Henley was Karpov's "second" or assistant during some of these
matches. Henley kept notes of the analysis in preparing for and
playing in these matches and these notes form the basis for much of
this book.

This book appears at Barnes and Noble through an agreement reached
last week by which most Ishi Press books will be available at all
Barnes and Noble stores and other stores worldwide.

Old December 14th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Question from a Reader: "Few people besides FIDE time-servers
agree that AK ever regained his crown. Are you obliged to use AK's
version of history? At the least you should place "(disputed)" before
"title in 1993."

My Answer:

"In answer to your question: Yes, I am obliged to use his version of
history.

"It is his book.

"It is a feather in my hat that a "former" world champion asked me to
reprint his book, rather than going to Random House for example.

"Perhaps other publishers did not want to say that he was still the
world champion and he came to me for that reason.

"If I had published a book by Fischer I would have had to say that he
was still the world champion.

"If I publish a book by Susan Polgar I will have to say that she is
still the current world champion. (She says that she is the world
champion and note that she never calls herself the "former world
champion".)