Old March 3rd 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default FICS

FICS used to be a great chess server, a place to pick up some unrated
games with worthy opponents. Lately, it has become infested with the
vilest, amoral kinds of unimaginable abusers. At peak times, you could
log in for 5 0 chess, and have over 100 players to be matched up with.
Lately, these figures have dropped about 33%.

FICS administration does not seem to care if there are players, or not.
In fact, theories have surfaced which pose there are errant admins on
the server who are guilty of antagonizing, belittling, and frustrating
players attempts who simply want to enjoy a game of chess. These admins
can 'control' the flagging, so a player cannot 'win' by time forfeit.
(the clock counts down minus, ad infinitum) They also insult, criticize,
demean and curse at players. The cursing is done by symbols, and vowels
being removed. It matters not if a player wins, or loses. If he wins, he
is a 'cheater', if he loses, he is an 'idiot'. Also, the admin has set
up his preferences so he plays in 'silence' mode, and cannot hear
remarks from anonymous players. I 'tell 53' the channel to inform the
other players what was going on, and I was banned from FICS!.A week
later, I was reinstated, with no explanation. This happened after I had
complained about my treatment on the news groups.

There are a number of good, decent players on this server, but too many
frustrated fish who have to take it out, on decent people.
Old March 3rd 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Mar 3, 10:28*am, nospam wrote:
[...]

Fo 50 bucks a year you can't beat ICC
Old March 4th 09, 11:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

In article c63868b3-b0cd-4fe9-a292-
, says...
On Mar 3, 10:28*am, nospam wrote:
[...]

But.... that's the attraction of the "F" in "FICS"!
--
Cheers,
Dave
Old March 4th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

None wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:28 am, nospam wrote:
[...]

I don't know about FICS, but ICC have a problem with persistent dis
connectors, which they never seem to address properly. If you only play
blitz, then using 'noescape' is a sensible option, but it is not wise
for long games, where the chance of accidental disconnections increases.

If someone does not wish to play a game in which they disconnected, ICC
don't force them too. I had a game where according to Rybka I had an
advantage of about 1.4 pawn units. My opponent kept refusing to resume,
and despite me showing ICC proof that this was happening, they
adjudicated the game a draw. They told me that the 'proof' I had which
included scree shots, could have been created with a graphics package.
That really annoyed me, when I all wanted to do was for my opponent to
finish his game.

I've had the odd bits of abuse on ICC too. I personally find it impolite
if you play someone and they immediately log out, with not a word of a
thank you.

There are some pretty miserable chess players on ICC. Making draw offers
when effectively lost is another one which annoys me - they take me for
an idiot.

--
I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,
Old March 4th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Mar 4, 12:35*pm, Dave wrote:
None wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:28 am, nospam wrote:
[...]

by others. They are leeches.- Hide quoted text -

Play 5minute chess...all disconnects cause forfeit

Old March 4th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Dave wrote:
None wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:28 am, nospam wrote:
[...]

I was playing a guy on ICC who offered me a draw when I had a mate in
one. He was upset I wouldn't accept.
Old March 4th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 14:31:59 -0500, "Mr.Vidmar"
wrote:

I was playing a guy on ICC who offered me a draw when I had a mate in
one. He was upset I wouldn't accept.

There are more clever cheats on playchess.com, especially in the
"guest" section. There's one guy who somehow causes you to lose on
time by inundating you with offers to let you take back your move and
with draw offers. When I encounter him, I keep playing just to see if
I can figure out what he's doing. When I complained about him to the
playchess folks, they recommended I play only rated chess. :-(

Old March 4th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Dave wrote:
None wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:28 am, nospam wrote:
[...]

one. He was upset I wouldn't accept.- Hide quoted text -

Not very sporting on your part...)

I stand corrected, it happened to me on chessbase. I also have had a
guy there keep making requests to take back moves which was very
annoying. The interesting thing was that both of them were Bulgarians.
Go figure.....
Old March 6th 09, 07:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

None wrote:

I don't know about FICS, but ICC have a problem with persistent dis
connectors, which they never seem to address properly. If you only play
blitz, then using 'noescape' is a sensible option, but it is not wise
for long games, where the chance of accidental disconnections increases.

Play 5minute chess...all disconnects cause forfeit

I know blitz speed chess is popular, but it is not to everyone's liking.
I personally prefer games slower than 5 0. There is currently no
satisfactory way of avoiding opponents who disconnect when loosing on
slower games. I proposed one solution to ICC,

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...44d 7262bfdb3

but their 'suggestion' account is I believed linked to /dev/null, as
I've never had any human response to any suggestion I've ever made.