Old October 17th 03, 01:16 AM
Alex

Default Bobby Fischer and the YMCA

I read in Frank Brady's book that Bobby Fischer used to live in the
YMCA for a while. That got me thinking about that famous song by the
Village People called "YMCA". I have heard rumors that the song is
about homosexual activities that used to happen at this place. Was
this the reason why Bobby decided to stay at the Y M C A ?
Old October 17th 03, 03:32 AM
michael adams

Alex wrote:

I read in Frank Brady's book that Bobby Fischer used to live in the
YMCA for a while. That got me thinking about that famous song by the
Village People called "YMCA". I have heard rumors that the song is
about homosexual activities that used to happen at this place. Was
this the reason why Bobby decided to stay at the Y M C A ?

No, it's the reason he decided to leave..

Old October 17th 03, 07:16 AM
Steven Rockwell

michael adams wrote in message ...
Alex wrote:

I read in Frank Brady's book that Bobby Fischer used to live in the
YMCA for a while. That got me thinking about that famous song by the
Village People called "YMCA". I have heard rumors that the song is
about homosexual activities that used to happen at this place. Was
this the reason why Bobby decided to stay at the Y M C A ?

No, it's the reason he decided to leave..

Poor, poor Bobby, he just couldn't get away. He left the YMCA for the
quiet respite of being a sailor. He tried to find what he needed "In
the Navy", but whatever demons he had followed him there as well.
After his discharge, he tried pumping up, but even as a "Macho Man"
the reason Bobby left the YMCA continued to haunt him. Everything he
tried to do as a living failed to bring Bobby peace...Cop, Cowboy,
Construction Worker...he even spent time as a biker and then on an
Indian Reservation. But none of it brought him the relief he was
searching for...
Old October 17th 03, 12:35 PM
John Lamont

While I'm sure that sort of thing at one time or another has gone on,
there's nothing any more homosexual about the YMCA than say, the Boy
Scouts, or a Catholic Boys school. Some predators will just go where
the prey is. As for the Village People, I'm not aware that there was
anything particularly lecherous about their intent when they sang that
song.
Old October 17th 03, 09:22 PM
Kenneth C.

"Alex" wrote in message
om...
I read in Frank Brady's book that Bobby Fischer used to live in the
YMCA for a while. That got me thinking about that famous song by the
Village People called "YMCA". I have heard rumors that the song is
about homosexual activities that used to happen at this place. Was
this the reason why Bobby decided to stay at the Y M C A ?

I think the reason he decided to stay there had more to do with the cheap
rent. I remember staying at a YMCA for awhile, back in the 1960's. Rent was
something like $10.00 a week!!

Old October 18th 03, 06:42 PM
Antonin Dvorak

-remove- (Mhoulsby) wrote in message ...
You're really *not* a fan of Dale Carnegie, are you?

who is dale carnegie?
Old October 20th 03, 03:10 AM
I.M. Provement

Others who are kind of unsure about their own sexual natures often try
to ease the tension by making assumptions about others' sexuality.
I guess this is just the "manly" thing to do. It is what males have
been taught to do. This is one of the things that keeps the American
people scared of each other and thus stalls politcal reforms; this
exaggerated fear and those distorted images caused by homophobia.

"It's coming soon. You'll know when you see it on the news."