Old January 2nd 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.collecting.coins,rec.games.chess.computer
oly oly is offline

Default Fred Reinfeld (1910-1964)

On Dec 26 2009, 8:25*pm, samsloan wrote:
On Dec 26, 8:42*pm, Doug Andrews wrote:

Perhaps the greatest contribution to collecting ever made by Fred
Reinfeld was the popularization of world numismatics among Americans.
He wrote about a subject that suffered from a lack of public awareness
in the US. Ironically, before the annual appearance of the Krause-
Mishler opus, "Standard Catalog of World Coins," many young
numismatists thought the twelve coins illustrated in Reinfeld's book
on French coins, or the 15 on Germany comprised the entire series!

Yet, credit where credit is due, he was a pioneer in introducing many
people to the diversity and breadth of "world collecting." His
"Catalogue of the World's Most Popular Coins" was and is a milestone
achievement.

Thank you very much, especially since I am reprinting that book right
now, at this very moment.

Watch the following listings:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo.../dp/4871878007

Within less than one week, you will see "Catalogue of the World's Most
Popular Coins" by Fred Reinfeld listed for sale.

It was a massive job to do this, as the original book has more than
4000 pictures of coins.

Sam Sloan

Oh gee, I have a copy of this book somewhere. I know I do, because it
has two or three letters tucked inside that my Granny wrote to me
while I was in college. It sat underneath the end-table in my bedroom
for years when I lived in Rockford.

I don't think I have opened this book in more than twenty-five years.

oly

Old January 2nd 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.collecting.coins,rec.games.chess.computer

oly wrote:
[...]

You should open it and get re-acquainted. When I feel overwhelmed by the KM
stack, Reinfeld's book is a refreshing distillation of the whole world coin
scene, even more so than the old Yeoman catalog. I particularly like his
identifications of people and devices pictured on the coins, info you can't
easily find anywhere else.

James

Old January 2nd 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.collecting.coins,rec.games.chess.computer
oly oly is offline

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo....asp?ISBN=4871....

[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps I should. Mind you, I feel very confident of my ID's of the
personages on most post-1600 dated Western European and New World
coinages. You have to get to the German principalities and other
backwater places before I really gotta look 'em up.

I might have to buy a new copy, it would probably be quicker and more
efficient than finding the old. But I do have one, somewhere around
here.

oly
Old January 2nd 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.collecting.coins,rec.games.chess.computer

oly wrote:
---
Oh gee, I have a copy of this book somewhere. I know I do, because it
has two or three letters tucked inside that my Granny wrote to me
while I was in college. It sat underneath the end-table in my bedroom
for years when I lived in Rockford.

I don't think I have opened this book in more than twenty-five years.

oly

Interesting.. & how is your "Granny" these days, still happily plugging
away is she ?

m.
Old January 3rd 10, 02:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.collecting.coins,rec.games.chess.computer
oly oly is offline

On Jan 2, 4:53*pm, micky wrote:
oly wrote:

---

Oh gee, I have a copy of this book somewhere. *I know I do, because it
has two or three letters tucked inside that my Granny wrote to me
while I was in college. *It sat underneath the end-table in my bedroom
for years when I lived in Rockford.

I don't think I have opened this book in more than twenty-five years.

oly

Interesting.. & how is your "Granny" these days, still happily plugging
away is she ?

m.

Sad to say, Granny passed away in 1996. She was six days short of her
91st birthday. The day she died was my dad's 66th birthday.

So you can see, I guard those letters most carefully.

oly

Old January 3rd 10, 02:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.collecting.coins,rec.games.chess.computer

oly wrote:
..
Sad to say, Granny passed away in 1996. She was six days short of her
91st birthday. The day she died was my dad's 66th birthday.

Ah ! I see... & as you say - 'all a bit sad' - still, a good innings
nonetheless...

A couple of quick calculations would put "dad" in his 80th year &
yourself ~ 60 ?

m.
Old January 3rd 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.collecting.coins,rec.games.chess.computer
oly oly is offline

On Jan 2, 8:56*pm, micky wrote:
oly wrote:

.

Sad to say, Granny passed away in 1996. *She was six days short of her
91st birthday. *The day she died was my dad's 66th birthday.

Ah ! I see... & as you say - 'all a bit sad' - still, a good innings
nonetheless...

A couple of quick calculations would put "dad" in his 80th year &
yourself ~ 60 ?

m.

More or less - you are going a little heavy on my own years, but not
by much.

Granny did very well, only being unable to take care of herself for
her last two years.

She was always amazed at what some of the silver coins from her own
youth were bringing in the collectors' market. Would not believe it.

She had a lot more respect for a gold coin, stating that she got a
five dollar gold each Christmas, until the Great Depression caused her
father's fortunes to collapse.

oly