Old January 9th 10, 12:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Spassky vs Karpov candidates 1974 Game 1.

All material I have read on this match (and analysis) do not go into
any depth as to why Karpov resigned the first game. It 'looks' lost
but where is the analysis. I have just got Fritz 10 to anyalise this
ending at the point where K resigned and it eventually finds a win at
move 115! Does anyone know, or can point me, to written analysis? I
find it frustrating that it is not resferred to as it its make in
three os something! Thanks
Keith
Old January 10th 10, 12:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Wow , i bet Karpov would like to see that analysis and probably Spassky
too..

Old January 10th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Muller and Lamprecht's Fundamental Chess Endings do not discuss this
particular game, but they do give examples of R +g&h pawns vs N + g&h pawns
as being a win for the side with a rook. One example showed the side with
the N resigning after 41 moves (not from the beginning of the game, but from
the start of the ending, if you see what I mean)and that wasn't mate, so
your/Fritz's analysis is probably not far off the mark. The win is more
long-winded than complex, and no doubt Karpov didn't want to spend a lot of
energy playing out a game he knew he'd lose.

Regards,
Arfur

Old January 11th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jan 10, 7:17*am, (SAT W-7) wrote:
Wow , i bet Karpov would like to see that analysis *and probably Spassky
too..

Are you for real?

Charles
Old January 12th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jan 9, 7:35*am, keithbc wrote:
All material I have read on this match (and analysis) do not go into
any depth as to why Karpov resigned the first game. It 'looks' lost
but where is the analysis. I have just got Fritz 10 to anyalise this
ending at the point where K resigned and it eventually finds a win at
move 115! Does anyone know, or can point me, to written analysis? I
find it frustrating that it is not resferred to as it its make in
three os something! Thanks
Keith

In the final position, the winning process may be lengthy but it is
not difficult. After 64.Qxd4, Rxd4, White is doomed by his weak h-
pawn, e.g., 65.Ke3 (or Kf3; a knight move loses a pawn faster), Rh4!
(cutting off the W king along the rank and freezing the knight on g3
to protect the h-pawn). Then Black just strolls his king up to g5. The
best White can do defensively (with Black to move) is:

W: Kf3, Ng3, Pg2, Ph5
B: Kg5, Rh4, Pg7, Ph6

In this position Black could give back the exchange with an immediate
1 ...Rxh5, but the K&P ending might be tricky. It looks like a more
certain win for Black to use his spare tempo with 1 ...Rh2, leaving
White in zugzwang. Then if 2.Kf2, Kg4 and the knight must move, losing
the h-pawn. Black is now the exchange and a pawn up -- a situation
much easier to convert to a win than when he just had an extra
exchange. He can advance his pawns and reach an optimum position for
either creating a passed pawn or giving back the exchange with a won
K&P ending. This takes awhile but White has absolutely no
counterplay, and at this level of play, it is just "technique."
Karpov understandably did not need to be "shown."

Charles

Old January 12th 10, 12:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

nice break down. of the game , thanks