Old February 24th 10, 11:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Tricky Endgame (drawn?)

Can anyone confirm if this high mobility endgame is drawn please?

I reckon that so long as white keeps his rooks paired and doesn't do
anything silly he can harass black well enough to prevent pawn advances.
I have tried it overnight in Shredder and also with Stockfish.

The conclusion is that it is likely that one of R8d4 or R3d6 is a safe
drawing move. I have also fed it to Freezer which may come up with a
result eventually but it is taking its time. The position:

3R4/6k1/8/5p1p/1K6/3R4/8/2q5 w - - 0 66

Thanks for any enlightenment. I don't find endgames easy at all.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old February 28th 10, 02:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
sd sd is offline

On Feb 24, 5:22*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
Can anyone confirm if this high mobility endgame is drawn please?

I reckon that so long as white keeps his rooks paired and doesn't do
anything silly he can harass black well enough to prevent pawn advances.
I have tried it overnight in Shredder and also with Stockfish.

The conclusion is that it is likely that one of R8d4 or R3d6 is a safe
drawing move. I have also fed it to Freezer which may come up with a
result eventually but it is taking its time. The position:

3R4/6k1/8/5p1p/1K6/3R4/8/2q5 w - - 0 66

Thanks for any enlightenment. I don't find endgames easy at all.

Regards,
Martin Brown

I am impressed that you can use Freezer. I tried, but it was too
unfriendly - at least to me.

How do you stop the rookd8 from continually checking if white plays
the obvious best move - 66. R3d6? Then any attempt to advance the
pawns seem to fail to the checks by the rook. As you note, it could
get tricky here, but if white is level-headed, it seems hard for him
to lose, with the position of the BK and the split, too far advanced
pawns.

On the other hand moving BPh5 to f7 would seem to give excellent
winning chances....

I would tell you to consult the standard tomes but I just went through
all of them that I have and all speak in generalities, only Mueller
and Cheron giving anything specific to this type of ending. Cheron
notes that Q+2p has good winning chances versus two rooks, *especially
if the pawns are not split*, but notes that position of the king and
pawns have a lot to do with that. I would say here black's bad king
position and unfortunate position of the pawns will lead to a draw,
unless white forgets to cut off the BK from the third rank.

SBD