Old April 4th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Spanish counter gambit

I was wondering why this opening is not played more often.

It's called the Spanish Counter gambit.

Is there something wrong with it?

1.e4 e5

2.Nf3 Nc6

3.Bb5 d5

After that the computer plays

4.Nxe5 Qf6

Not sure where to move the queen on move 4. I tried 3 different chess
programs, and they all moved the queen to

different spots.

4.... Qg5, 4...Qf6, or 4...Qd6
Old April 4th 10, 08:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
sd sd is offline

On Apr 3, 8:50*pm, greg wrote:
I was wondering why this opening is not played more often.

It's called the Spanish Counter gambit.

Is there something wrong with it?

1.e4 *e5

2.Nf3 Nc6

3.Bb5 d5

After that *the computer plays

4.Nxe5 *Qf6

Not sure where to move the queen on move 4. I tried 3 different chess
programs, and they all moved the queen to

different spots.

4.... Qg5, *4...Qf6, or 4...Qd6

I like to think I know off-beat openings, and had never seen this one.
Looking in the databases, its record is abysmal, one of the more
recent games featured a 1500 against a 900. White has a ton of options
at move 4, 4. Nxe5 is not forced, and even after it, and the queen
move, I cannot see much of a game for black. Can you?

Playing these types of things, you need to know the overall play or
compensation you expect to receive up to the middlegame. What's more
important is what happens after the queen move. What is the plan?