Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 4th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2007
Posts: 40
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

Which is better to play? a d6 sicilian or an e6 sicilian and why?
What are their advantages:

A:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3

or

B.
  #2   Report Post  
Old April 4th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,256
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

On Apr 4, 6:39*pm, Alex wrote:
Which is better to play? *a d6 sicilian or an e6 sicilian and why?
What are their advantages:

A:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3

or

B.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 followed by either 4....Nc6 or
4...Nf6


Neither line is especially better or worse than the other. Both are
considered fully sound. Which to play is more a matter of personal
taste and style than anything else. If you like ultra-sharp lines such
as the Najdorf or Dragon, you would have to avoid the early ...e6 in
favor of ...d6. If you like lines where you can play an early ...Bf8-
b4, or if you want to avoid lines where White can play an early Bf1-
b5, then 2...e6 is better. If you like the Scheveningen variation, it
doesn't much matter; you can transpose either way.
  #3   Report Post  
Old April 5th 10, 10:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,536
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

On Apr 5, 12:39*am, Alex wrote:
Which is better to play? *a d6 sicilian or an e6 sicilian and why?
What are their advantages:

A:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3

or

B.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 followed by either 4....Nc6 or
4...Nf6


2..e6 is more sound. 2..d6 is essentially a pawn sacrifice, unless
you plan to fianchetto the bishop (ie. Dragon). But if you like a
more open game then play d6, as indeed sacrificing the exchange for
black is not unusual in the Sicilian.

RL
  #4   Report Post  
Old April 5th 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
sd sd is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 922
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

On Apr 5, 4:35*am, raylopez99 wrote:


2..e6 is more sound. *2..d6 is essentially a pawn sacrifice, unless
you plan to fianchetto the bishop (ie. Dragon).


Explain how that in any way, even "essentially" sacrifices a pawn?
  #5   Report Post  
Old April 5th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 15
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

They are both fine, as is 2... Nc6. I suppose, 2... g6 or 2... a6 are
playable, but these leave fewer choices. All these second moves may
transpose into each other but do not have to; each has unique line to
itself. You pays your money and you takes your choice.


  #6   Report Post  
Old April 5th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,073
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

On Apr 5, 5:35*am, raylopez99 wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:39*am, Alex wrote:

Which is better to play? *a d6 sicilian or an e6 sicilian and why?
What are their advantages:


A:


1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3


or


B.


1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 followed by either 4....Nc6 or
4...Nf6


2..e6 is more sound. *2..d6 is essentially a pawn sacrifice, unless
you plan to fianchetto the bishop (ie. Dragon). *But if you like a
more open game then play d6, as indeed sacrificing the exchange for
black is not unusual in the Sicilian.

RL


Huh? I like e6 because it supports d5 and then (usually) black
equalizes. But d6 sacrifices a pawn, gee maybe you're thinking about
the Smith-Morra with the colors reversed ;)
  #7   Report Post  
Old April 5th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,170
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

On 4 Apr, 23:39, Alex wrote:
Which is better to play? *a d6 sicilian or an e6 sicilian and why?
What are their advantages:

A:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3

or

B.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 followed by either 4....Nc6 or
4...Nf6


Ze d6 ends up in ze anneeehheeeelation of ze bliks.
Ze e6 ents up in ze trioompf of ze blicks.
  #8   Report Post  
Old April 6th 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,536
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

On Apr 5, 1:07*pm, sd wrote:
On Apr 5, 4:35*am, raylopez99 wrote:



2..e6 is more sound. *2..d6 is essentially a pawn sacrifice, unless
you plan to fianchetto the bishop (ie. Dragon).


Explain how that in any way, even "essentially" sacrifices a pawn?


Sorry I meant 2.e6 essentially is a pawn sac. I think if you play
chess it's clear why...backward pawn that will eventually fall...but
black has counterplay on the Q-side.

RL
  #9   Report Post  
Old April 6th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,256
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

On Apr 6, 9:53*am, raylopez99 wrote:
On Apr 5, 1:07*pm, sd wrote:

On Apr 5, 4:35*am, raylopez99 wrote:


2..e6 is more sound. *2..d6 is essentially a pawn sacrifice, unless
you plan to fianchetto the bishop (ie. Dragon).


Explain how that in any way, even "essentially" sacrifices a pawn?


Sorry I meant 2.e6 essentially is a pawn sac. *


Presumably you mean 2...e6. White cannot play 2.e6 in that position.

I think if you play
chess it's clear why...backward pawn that will eventually fall...


Many Sicilian lines involve a backward d-pawn for Black, including
ones arising from 2...d6 as well as 2...e6: the Scheveningen, the
Boleslavsky, the Sveshnikov, the Kalashnikov, the Richter-Rauzer, etc.
But these lines are not properly called pawn sacrifices, either
"essentially" or otherwise.
Furthermore in many 2...e6 lines the d-pawn quickly advances to d5,
becoming thereby no longer backward. An early example, still
considered mainstream theory, is Anderssen-Paulsen, match, Leipzig,
1876, which began 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.Nc3 Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Nf6
6.Ndb5 Bb4 7.Nd6+ Ke7 8.Bf4 e5 9.Nf5+ Kf8 10.Bg5 d5 11.exd5 Qxd5. No
more backward d-pawn, no d-pawns at all, and no pawn sacrificed.
  #10   Report Post  
Old April 6th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,536
Default d6 or e6 Sicilian

On Apr 6, 5:10*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

* Furthermore in many 2...e6 lines the d-pawn quickly advances to d5,
becoming thereby no longer backward. An early example, still
considered mainstream theory, is Anderssen-Paulsen, match, Leipzig,
1876, which began 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.Nc3 Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Nf6
6.Ndb5 Bb4 7.Nd6+ Ke7 8.Bf4 e5 9.Nf5+ Kf8 10.Bg5 d5 11.exd5 Qxd5. No
more backward d-pawn, no d-pawns at all, and no pawn sacrificed.


Don't be ridiculous Taylor. Black just lost the right to castle in
that line.

Like I said, "essentially" the Sicilian is a pawn sacrifice by Black,
especially if they play d6 or e6, as you acknowledge.

RL
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better than the Dragon Sicilian? Quentin Grady rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 8 June 3rd 09 01:01 AM
Why don't some GMs play the Sicilian Defense? Alex rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 19 January 6th 09 01:08 AM
Why don't some GMs play the Sicilian Defense? Alex rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 19 January 6th 09 01:08 AM
Chess books FOR SALE - listing here, not ebay John Neville rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 January 8th 07 05:43 AM
Sicilian, Najdorf Miniatures [email protected] rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 0 April 7th 06 01:58 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017