Old April 4th 10, 11:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Is chess more than a boardgame?

I was playing in a tournament over the weekend and upset an opponent
who was 300 points higher rated than me. He got really angry and told
me that I don't have any skills and got lucky. I told him he is
probably right because he is higher rated than me. I also told him
that I am not good at other boardgames either. He got mad at me and
told me that chess isn't a boardgame.

The last time I checked chess is made by Milton Bradley and Parker
Brothers and can be found in the boardgame aisle of the toys section
in a store.

Old April 5th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Apr 4, 6:41*pm, Alex wrote:
I was playing in a tournament over the weekend and upset an opponent
who was 300 points higher rated than me. *He got really angry and told
me that I don't have any skills and got lucky. *I told him he is
probably right because he is higher rated than me. *I also told him
that I am not good at other boardgames either. He got mad at me and
told me that chess isn't a boardgame.

The last time I checked chess is made by Milton Bradley and Parker
Brothers and can be found in the boardgame aisle of the toys section
in a store.

Last I checked, chess was certainly considered a board game, as
opposed to say, card games. Perhaps your opponent was thinking more of
Monopoly, Clue, Careers, Trivial Pursuit and other such popular games
which have an element of chance.
BTW, your opponent sounds like a very sore loser and rather a jerk.
Old April 5th 10, 10:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Apr 5, 1:01*am, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
* BTW, your opponent sounds like a very sore loser and rather a jerk.

That would be you? Didn't you once throw a chessboard at an
opponent? That's meant as a real question, not rhetorical.

And speaking of sore losers, one was Rossolimo, the GM named after the
Sicilian, who once, when he was about to lose to a weaker player,
picked up a piece and slammed it down on the board with such force as
to rattle (literally and figuratively) his opponent, who promptly
blundered. As related in a book I read once by a CA state champion,
of European origin.

I've often wondered if such a move by Rossolimo was not against the
FIDE rules of chess--any referees or rules experts out there know?

RL
Old April 5th 10, 12:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
sd sd is offline

wrote:

That would be you? *Didn't you once throw a chessboard at an
opponent? *That's meant as a real question, not rhetorical.

Didn't you once beat your wife? That's meant as a real question, not
rhetorical.

Old April 5th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

Taylor Kingston wrote:
..
BTW, your opponent sounds like a very sore loser and rather a jerk.

To be fair - we need the opponent's pov also..

If, for example, Alex can be shown to be a smug, a smirk, & a tease ?

m.
Old April 5th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

Taylor Kingston wrote:
..
No. I shot him.

I shot a rat once (right between the eyes..)

With my Diana .22 carbine 'style' air-rifle..

m.
Old April 5th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Apr 5, 12:11*pm, micky wrote:
Taylor Kingston wrote:

.

* BTW, your opponent sounds like a very sore loser and rather a jerk.

To be fair - we need the opponent's pov also..

If, for example, Alex can be shown to be a smug, a smirk, & a tease ?

True, hence my non-committal "sounds like," i.e. "if what you say is
true and you did nothing to provoke your opponent." But I've met
enough jerks over the board, of the sort who consider losing fair and
square to a lower-rated player to be a personal insult, that I find
the story at least plausible.