Old April 10th 10, 08:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Return to getclub, couple of non-chess suggestions

I've stayed away from getclub for a while, for all the obvious
reasons, but I popped back today to see how it is getting along.
When I logged in, it proudly told me that getclub is the strongest
computer chess program in the world.
I throughly enjoyed that, and expect to get a chuckle out of it if I
ever log in again.

On a more serious note, although the chess engine clearly needs a lot
of work, sanny could make a lot of improvements just from a redesign
of the website.

- stop opening so many windows. The one I start with is enough
- stop advertising your other services, just show them to me at the
login screen then stop. I have no need of a 'man for marriage'.
- Test your site, in a variety of browsers. Whatever it is that
appears with the game summary (a java application) errored for me
- Add an option to turn off sounds and computer commentary. (I'd
enjoy some context based commentary. So it changes depending on how
the computer is doing.)

Phil.
I accept that Getclub will not be as strong as commercial programs,
but there's no reason not to score some quick wins and tidy up the
site.

Phil.
Old April 10th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On 2010-04-10, Phil wrote:
I've stayed away from getclub for a while, for all the obvious
reasons, but I popped back today to see how it is getting along.

I did the same and posted my comments to this group last week:
http://bit.ly/bkgE0H ==
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.chess.analysis/msg/816f134fd13a2ab9?dmode=source.

When I logged in, it proudly told me that getclub is the strongest
computer chess program in the world.

It didn't say which world.

My comment was that GetClub "is weaker and slower than any chess
program I've seen in more than 20 years -- if ever."

I throughly enjoyed that, and expect to get a chuckle out of it if I
ever log in again.

On a more serious note, although the chess engine clearly needs a lot
of work, sanny could make a lot of improvements just from a redesign
of the website.

Indeed. It would make thrashing GetClub less of a chore.

I accept that Getclub will not be as strong as commercial programs,
but there's no reason not to score some quick wins and tidy up the
site.

My conclusion was:

I would recommend GetClub.com only for rank beginners who
could not otherwise find an opponent they can beat.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfajohnson.com