Old May 4th 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Blatant Copyright Theft, and not by Sam Sloan! (was: Chess ebooksin pdf and chessbase format)

On May 3, 1:38*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
On May 3, 1:22*pm, raylopez99 wrote:

So why did they name it Istanbul?

* The Wikipedia article on that question gives this explanation:

"The modern Turkish name İstanbul (pronounced [isˈtanbul]) is attested
(in a range of variants) since the 10th century, at first in
Azerbaijani and Arabic and then in Turkish sources. It derives from
the Greek phrase "εις την *όλιν" or "στην *όλη" [(i)stimboli(n)], both
meaning "in the city" or "to the city";[6] a similar case is Stimboli,
Crete. It is thus based on the common Greek usage of referring to
Constantinople simply as The City."

I doubt it. Sounds too clever by half. Besides, "in the city", using
this logic, would be "InstanPOL" not "bul", unless you assume those
ignorant Englishmen like Lord Byron would not know how to pronounce
"POL". I doubt it, since Byron spoke Greek.

* I was surprised to see that the name was not officially changed
until quite some time after the Turkish conquest of 1453:

* It was not until "the Turkish Postal Service Law of March 28, 1930,
[that] the Turkish authorities officially requested foreigners to
cease referring to the city with their traditional non-Turkish names
(such as Constantinople, Tsarigrad, etc.) and to adopt Istanbul as the
sole name also in their own languages."

Aha! It was that ATATÜRK fellow...knew it.

* I would have thought that the Turks would want to expunge ASAP the
Christian overtones from the city's name, just as they changed the
Hagia Sophia from a Greek Orthodox basilica to a Muslim mosque. Oh,
well, what do I know?

Not much TK! ;-) Certainly not much more than you can copy and paste
from Googling it. You care to reopen that contentious debate we had
on Neo-Lamarkianism? Latest evidence since we had that debate
supports my contention that animal parents can "will" the genetic
endowment of their offspring. Including a certain species of red
crested songbird, not to mention the cichlids of Lake Tanganyika.

RL