Old June 16th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Tal - NN (white to move)

On Jun 16, 9:29*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
On Jun 15, 7:39*pm, raylopez99 wrote:
If I was playing this, I also would make the same move as Tal did.
That must mean I play like Tal?

* Ray, not only do you not play like Tal, but also you are badly
inferior to him as a person. Here's how he's described in Seirawan's
new book:

* "Of all the World Champions, Mikhail Tal, 'Mischa' to one and all,
was the most liked, admired and, yes, loved by colleagues and chess
fans the world over. He was a strikingly kind and nice person. He had
a soft voice and a lovely, self-deprecating wit. I never heard him
utter a harsh word in his life ... His writings showed him to be a
worldly, caring person."

Ooh boy. TK you are too funny. First, I am a big fan of Seirawan--
he's a fellow Virginian, born in Virginia Beach, VA, and I used to
subscribe at his magazine Inside Chess. I also have bought and read
with interest his books, including the beginners' series by Microsoft
Press and his Five Crowns, and I will buy this book when it gets
published on Amazon. But please be advised that Seirawan--who once
replied to one of my flamebaits right here on r.g.c.m btw (about 10
years ago, he pitied that anybody who seemed to love chess could be so
mean spirited as I recall--I think, if memory serves, I flamed Dr.
Arpad Elo on his obituary)--is, along with his wife/girlfriend/other,
a "New Age" type of fellow. Though he's an expert black belt (and I
won't repeat the well known tale how the broke up a fight with a UK
chess master infatuated with that asian-Australian-Dutch model
chessplayer girl, when he attacked that Armenian GM who's in the Top
10), and I'm sure he can fight, he's very touchy feely. Like I said,
"New Age" like Yiannis the singer and therefore he'll never say
anything really harsh about anything (even his criticism of me was
framed along the lines of 'poor Ray').

In short, Seirawan's opinion of Tal means nothing. Seirawan has
nothing but nice things to say about almost anyone.

* Based on the way you act here, Ray, I would say you are as far below
Tal as a man, as you are below him as a chess player.

Nope. I'm above him. He's dead and six feet under. Too much
smoking.

RL

Old June 16th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

wrote:

On Jun 15, 7:39*pm, raylopez99 wrote:
If I was playing this, I also would make the same move as Tal did.
That must mean I play like Tal?

* Ray, not only do you not play like Tal, but also you are badly
inferior to him as a person. Here's how he's described in Seirawan's
new book:

* "Of all the World Champions, Mikhail Tal, 'Mischa' to one and all,
was the most liked, admired and, yes, loved by colleagues and chess
fans the world over. He was a strikingly kind and nice person. He had
a soft voice and a lovely, self-deprecating wit. I never heard him
utter a harsh word in his life ... His writings showed him to be a
worldly, caring person."

Ooh boy. *TK you are too funny. *First, I am a big fan of Seirawan--
he's a fellow Virginian, born in Virginia Beach, VA,

Odd. In the first sentence of "Chess Duels" Seirawan writes: "I was
born March 24, 1960 in Damascus." That's Damascus as in Syria, not
Virginia. He goes on to describe also living in his early years in
Nottingham, England, then finally Seattle. Again, not in Virginia.

But please be advised that Seirawan--who once
replied to one of my flamebaits right here on r.g.c.m btw (about 10
years ago, he pitied that anybody who seemed to love chess could be so
mean spirited as I recall--I think, if memory serves, I flamed Dr.
Arpad Elo on his obituary)

Sounds like something you'd do, Ray. Imagine what people will do
with yours!

In short, Seirawan's opinion of Tal means nothing.

No, Ray, it's your opinions that mean nothing.
Old June 16th 10, 11:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jun 17, 1:02*am, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
* *Odd. In the first sentence of "Chess Duels" Seirawan writes: "I was
born March 24, 1960 in Damascus." That's Damascus as in Syria, not
Virginia. He goes on to describe also living in his early years in
Nottingham, England, then finally Seattle. Again, not in Virginia.

But use Google TK, it's your friend:

The family settled in Virginia Beach, Va. in 1970. Yasser was 10, and
for the ... interest in chess in the U.S. Seirawan, of course, had
been on the beach,

Also, I must have been mistaken about what I was flaming about: Dr.
Elo died in 1992, not 10 years ago.

RL
Old June 17th 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

wrote:

* *Odd. In the first sentence of "Chess Duels" Seirawan writes: "I was
born March 24, 1960 in Damascus." That's Damascus as in Syria, not
Virginia. He goes on to describe also living in his early years in
Nottingham, England, then finally Seattle. Again, not in Virginia.

But use Google TK, it's your friend:

The family settled in Virginia Beach, Va. in 1970.

But Ray, you said he was *_born_* in Virginia Beach.

Yasser was 10,

When he was born??

Also, I must have been mistaken about what I was flaming about

Your flaming is /always/ mistaken, Ray.
Old June 19th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

Do you remember the joke of the guy who takes a violin and a painting
into Christie's?

The auctioneer says, "This is incredible. You have a Stradivarius and a
Rembrandt! Unfortunately - the painting is by Stradivarius ...."

Likewise, I could play like Tal at volleyball...

Old June 19th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

Please use his proper name: Tals.
Old June 19th 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jun 19, 10:15*am, Alan OBrien wrote:
Do you remember the joke of the guy who takes a violin and a painting
into Christie's?

The auctioneer says, "This is incredible. You have a Stradivarius and a
Rembrandt! Unfortunately - the painting is by Stradivarius ...."

Likewise, I could play like Tal at volleyball...

Reminds me of a send-up of "Porgy and Bess" done by Mad magazine in
the mid-1960s. In one scene, Muhammad Ali was boasting that he was not
only the greatest boxer, but also the greatest poet and greatest
politician. He challenged the other supposed greats in those fields:

"I challenge Lyndon Johnson to a poetry-reading contest! I challenge
Sonny Liston to run against me for office! And I challenge Carl
Sandburg to fight me, any time, anywhere!"
Old June 19th 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jun 19, 5:34*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

* Reminds me of a send-up of "Porgy and Bess" done by Mad magazine in
the mid-1960s. In one scene, Muhammad Ali was boasting that he was not
only the greatest boxer, but also the greatest poet and greatest
politician. He challenged the other supposed greats in those fields:

* "I challenge Lyndon Johnson to a poetry-reading contest! I challenge
Sonny Liston to run against me for office! And I challenge Carl
Sandburg to fight me, any time, anywhere!"

And he would have won.

The greatest today in all these endeavors--including boxing btw where
he was an amateur champ--is the fine chess player President Kirsan
Ilyumzhinov.

And if you don't believe me, ask him.

RL