Old June 20th 10, 03:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default My Game Against Louis Petithory

I basically learned chess by playing correspondence chess. My family
moved to Lynchburg Virginia when I was ten. The club there met once a
week at the Virginian Hotel. Most of the players were elderly men, the
main one being Captain Robert Abernathy. When Captain Abernathy and
the others all died within a few years, the club folded. There was a
strong player in Lynchburg, John L. Buck, who had been Southern Open
Champion, but he never played and I never even got to meet him.

Unlike today when there are chess tournaments every weekend, back then
there were only three tournaments per year, the Virginia Closed, the
North Carolina Open and the Eastern Open in Washington DC. So those
were the only chess games I got to play all year!

So, I played postal chess. I bought a lot of opening books from
Buschke in New York. My parents were shocked when I started receiving
books in Hungarian and Russian and seemed even to be able to read
them.

I have just found a box of old postcards with the moves of some of my
postal games. The best player I ever beat was Louis Petithory. He
later became an International Postal Master. We were playing in the
1960 CCLA US Junior Championship. I played in two sections and won
both of him. There were only three sections and he won the third. We
were supposed to play a match for the Championship but I went off to
College at the University of California at Berkeley and lost interest
in postal chess the match was never played. I suppose that the CCLA
just did not have a junior champion that year.

Here is my game against Petithory. As you will see it was a poison-
pawn type variation of the Najdorf Sicilian and I won because he got
his queen trapped.

[Event "CCLA US Junior Championship"]
[Site "Correspondence"]
[Date "1960.10.25"]
[White "Sloan,Sam"]
[Black "Petithory,Louis"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B96"]

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bg5 e6 7.f4 h6
8.Bh4 Qb6 9.a3 Bd7 10.Bf2 Qxb2 11.Nde2 Bb5 12.Bd4 Nc6
13.Ra2 Qxa2 14.Nxa2 Be7 15.Nac3 Bc4 16.Ng3 Bxf1
17.Nxf1 b5 18.Ne3 O-O 19.e5 dxe5 20.Bxe5 Bxa3 21.Bxf6 gxf6
22.Qh5 Kg7 23.O-O Rh8 24.Ne4 f5 25.Nd2 Bc5 26.Qf3 Nd4
27.Qg3+ Kh7 28.Kh1 Rad8 29.Rd1 Rhg8 30.Qe1 Bb4
31.Qf1 Nxc2 32.Nxc2 Bxd2 33.Ra1 b4 1-0

The only other strong player I remember beating was Jerry Milburn. It
was a King's Gambit. I had white and won in about 12 moves.

I defeated David E. Burris who died a few years ago but I only have
one postcard from that game.

The box of postcards I found seem to include other games from the same
tournament. None of the other players were strong and I beat them all
easily. In case anybody is interested or in case any of them became
strong players later, here are the names:

Ernest L. Boehm
Anthony L. Abrescia
Charles E. Daniels
Frank W. Pratt
Edwin Pelton
Joseph E. Martin
George D. Conwell
B. E. Therrell
Jim Jackson
Ronald A. Dodge
Mark Tavel
J. M. Burns
Urban C. Lehner
Forrest Blum
William Kietzman
Eugene Bryant
Mike Hayes of Niagra University NY

A strong player remember losing to was Sydney L. Thompson of Keene NH.
I no not know anything about him other than that he had a high rating
and was an old-time player.

He wrote in one of his postcards, "I got a draw from Reshevsky 30-35
years ago".

As this game was played in 1960, that would have been in 1925-1930,
when Reshevsky was 15-20.

Can anybody find a game like that? I do believe that this player had
been a master at one time.

Anyway, he won both games against me. These games were played in an
organization called the CCC. I do not know what that was. I think he
died right after these games. Here are the games:

[Event "Postal"]
[Site "CCC"]
[Date "1960.02.12"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Thompson,Sydney L."]
[Black "Sloan,Sam"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "A09"]

1.Nf3 d5 2.c4 d4 3.e3 c5 4.exd4 cxd4 5.g3 Nc6 6.Bg2 g6
7.d3 Bg7 8.O-O f5 9.Re1 Qd6 10.Bf4 Qc5 11.Nbd2 Qb6
12.Qb3 Qc5 13.Qc2 Nf6 14.Nb3 Qb6 15.c5 Qd8 16.Qc4 Nh5
17.Bd6 Bf6 18.Nfxd4 Bd7 19.Nb5 Kf8 20.Bc7 Qc8 21.Bf4 g5
22.Bd2 Ne5 23.Rxe5 Bxe5 24.Bxg5 Bxb2
25.Re1 Bf6 26.Bf3 Bxb5 27.Bh6+ Bg7 28.Bxg7+ Nxg7
29.Qxb5 Rb8 30.c6 bxc6 31.Qe5 e6 32.Qf6+ Kg8 33.Nd4 Qf8
34.Qe5 c5 35.Nxe6 Nxe6 36.Bd5 Kf7 37.Qxf5+ Ke8 38.Qxe6+ Kd8 39.Bc6 1-0

[Event "CCC"]
[Site "Postal Game"]
[Date "1960.02.12"]
[White "Sloan,Sam"]
[Black "Thompson,Sydney L."]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "E51"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e3 d5 5.a3 Be7 6.Nf3 O-O
7.b4 Nbd7 8.Bb2 c6 9.Qc2 Bd6 10.Bd3 e5 11.dxe5 Nxe5
12.Nxe5 Bxe5 13.cxd5 cxd5 14.Ne2 Bxb2 15.Qxb2 Be6
16.O-O Rc8 17.Rfd1 Qb6 18.Nf4 Rc7 19.Rd2 Rfc8 20.Rad1 h6
21.h3 Rc6 22.Qe5 Qc7 23.Qd4 a6 24.a4 Rc1
25.b5 axb5 26.Bxb5 Ne4 27.Rd3 Qc2 28.Nxe6 Qxf2+
29.Kh1 fxe6 30.Rxc1 Rxc1+ 31.Rd1 Rc2 32.Rg1 Qg3 0-1

Old June 20th 10, 10:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 20, 5:02*am, samsloan wrote:
I basically learned chess by playing correspondence chess. My family
moved to Lynchburg Virginia when I was ten.

Really? We were neighbors then. I lived on 6th & Main (it's now a
Holiday Inn).

The club there met once a
week at the Virginian Hotel. Most of the players were elderly men, the
main one being Captain Robert Abernathy.

Ah yes, I remember him. He fought in the Civil War with Stonewall
Jackson's men (or that's what he used to say--he was so old I believed
him).

When Captain Abernathy and
the others all died within a few years, the club folded.

Everybody who ever plays you Sam seems to die. Why is that?

There was a
strong player in Lynchburg, John L. Buck, who had been Southern Open
Champion, but he never played and I never even got to meet him.

Funny you say that--neither did I. In my mind's eye Buck is like that
comedian John Candy playing "Uncle Buck"! LOL.

Unlike today when there are chess tournaments every weekend, back then
there were only three tournaments per year, the Virginia Closed, the
North Carolina Open and the Eastern Open in Washington DC. So those
were the only chess games I got to play all year!

Me too! I once won a prize in the Eastern Open for best player under
Class E. Still have the trophy somewhere.

So, I played postal chess. I bought a lot of opening books from
Buschke in New York. My parents were shocked when I started receiving
books in Hungarian and Russian and seemed even to be able to read
them.

Yeah, me too. But I ordered from that guy in the south--you know the
one--that had the large chess library and was friends with Weaver
Adams and Bobby Fischer.

I have just found a box of old postcards with the moves of some of my
postal games. The best player I ever beat was Louis Petithory.

I vaguely remember Petihory. I think he moved out west and lost
interest in chess.

Here is my game against Petithory. As you will see it was a poison-
pawn type variation of the Najdorf Sicilian and I won because he got
his queen trapped.

Right. A routine game--do you think he even saw the poisoned pawn?
Or did he just stumble into loss?

The only other strong player I remember beating was Jerry Milburn. It
was a King's Gambit. I had white and won in about 12 moves.

That's a blunderfest. 12 moves?

I defeated David E. Burris who died a few years ago but I only have
one postcard from that game.

See what I mean? You play Burris, Burris dies. Hey man, I do not
what to play you, ever.

The box of postcards I found seem to include other games from the same
tournament. None of the other players were strong and I beat them all
easily. In case anybody is interested or in case any of them became
strong players later, here are the names:

Jim Jackson

You realize I hope Jackson is distantly related to Stonewall? That's
not a coincidence in Lynchburg--he had relatives all over down there.

Ronald A. Dodge
Mark Tavel
J. M. Burns

Old man Burns--famous from the 19th century. I played him too. What
a story teller!

Urban C. Lehner

Of Urban Legend fame.

Forrest Blum

Not to be confused with Forrest Gump.

William Kietzman
Eugene Bryant

A black man, if memory serves?

Mike Hayes of Niagra University NY

Right. I always confused him with Mike Haynes (note the extra 'n') of
Ithaca College, NY.

A strong player remember losing to was Sydney L. Thompson of Keene NH.
I no *not know anything about him other than that he had a high rating
and was an old-time player.

Funny but his name does not ring a bell.

He wrote in one of his postcards, "I got a draw from Reshevsky 30-35
years ago".

Haha! He had a sense of humor.

As this game was played in 1960, that would have been in 1925-1930,
when Reshevsky was 15-20.

Yeah, I wrote once on my postcard: "I drew Tal a few years ago".
Rattled my opponent.

Can anybody find a game like that? I do believe that this player had
been a master at one time.

Like I've been a baiter.

Anyway, he won both games against me. These games were played in an
organization called the CCC. I do not know what that was. I think he
died right after these games. Here are the games:

DIED! AGAIN! RIGHT AFTER THESE GAMES! YOU ARE CURSED SAM SLOAN,
CURSED! VOODOO! VAMOS AWAY GO AWAY YOU!

NOOOOOOoooooo! I will never play Sam Sloan, and if you value your
life reader you be careful with this guy--he's deadly with the g pawn
in more ways than one!

RL
Old June 20th 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 20, 5:12*am, raylopez99 wrote:
On Jun 20, 5:02*am, samsloan wrote:

I basically learned chess by playing correspondence chess. My family
moved to Lynchburg Virginia when I was ten.

Really? *We were neighbors then. *I lived on 6th & Main (it's now a
Holiday Inn).

It is too bad that you did not live two blocks away, because all the
whorehouses in Lynchburg were at 4th and Madison.

Do not try looking for them. They were all closed down years ago, or
perhaps they just moved to upscale locations.

Lynchburg at one time had the reputation for having both the most
churches AND the best whorehouses in Virginia. There is some logic to
that.

Old June 20th 10, 12:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

I am disappointed at how weakly I played in these games.

However, putting a positive spin on it, I think I can say that I play
better now, at age 65, than I played then, at age 16.

Perhaps I should try posting some of my wins against weak players,
rather than my losses to strong players. That might make me look
better.

Sam
Old June 20th 10, 02:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
sd sd is offline

On Jun 20, 6:37*am, samsloan wrote:
I am disappointed at how weakly I played in these games.

However, putting a positive spin on it, I think I can say that I play
better now, at age 65, than I played then, at age 16.

Perhaps I should try posting some of my wins against weak players,
rather than my losses to strong players. That might make me look
better.

Sam

Nah, the stories are better with the strong players. No matter what
else is verkakt about you, Sam, you do tell a good yarn.

SBD

Old June 20th 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 20, 5:12*am, raylopez99 wrote:

Everybody who ever plays you Sam seems to die. *Why is that?

It's like the discussion Alice has with an insect in "Through the
Looking Glass." The insect tells her of another kind of insect that
lives on "weak tea with cream in it."
Alice asks "But what if it can't find any?"
"Then it dies," replies the bug.
"That must happen very often," says Alice.
"It /always/ happens."
Old June 20th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 04:37:52 -0700 (PDT), samsloan
wrote:

I am disappointed at how weakly I played in these games.

However, putting a positive spin on it, I think I can say that I play
better now, at age 65, than I played then, at age 16.

I can say I play better now, at age 65, than I did in 1972 at age 28.
But, I can't get my OTB rating back to what it was then. Back then,
my USCF stayed pretty much within the range 2040 to 2080. Now, it
hovers between 1965 and 1980.

So, either I'm delusional or the general level of strength has risen
quite a bit since then.
Old June 20th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 20, 9:33*pm, MikeMurray wrote:

So, either I'm delusional or the general level of strength has risen
quite a bit since then. *

I think it's a combination of both. FICS rating pool is lower than
ICC is higher than Playchess is lower than FICS IMO. I would hazard
that the paid site ICC has the highest rating pool. OTB in person,
the Manhattan Club would have a higher rating pool than a normal chess
club. So an 1800 at the Manhattan Club is like 2200 elsewhere. Of
course USCF Elo is inflated by about 180 points over the international
Elo, last I checked.

And then you have weekend warriors who save all their energy for the
weekend, and sometimes skew the curve (I notice they play differently,
probably stronger, than the regular crowd).

RL
Old June 20th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:27:47 -0700 (PDT), raylopez99
wrote:

Of
course USCF Elo is inflated by about 180 points over the international
Elo, last I checked.

I know there's a difference, but I don't think it's that pronounced,
and I think it varies depending on where one is on the scale.

I've only played in two events where I could get FIDE ratings (and
these were in Canada so FIDE thinks I'm a Canadian) and need a third
one to be "official", but so far my FIDE work-in-progress is 2042. I
realize a trend of one doesn't mean much.
Old June 21st 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote:
Of
course USCF Elo is inflated by about 180 points over the international
Elo, last I checked.

I know there's a difference, but I don't think it's that pronounced,
and I think it varies depending on where one is on the scale.

*I've only played in two events where I could get FIDE ratings (and
these were in Canada so FIDE thinks I'm a Canadian) and need a third
one to be "official", but so far my FIDE work-in-progress is 2042. *I
realize a trend of one doesn't mean much.

Last time I looked, the conversion formula recommended by the USCF
Ratings Committee was USCF = .895(FIDE) +367. Many TDs just use FIDE
+50 or FIDE+100, however, which is close enough for government work
There's definitely a variance, but 180 points is absurd.