Old June 21st 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default My Game Against Leon Stolzenberg

On Jun 20, 6:24*pm, raylopez99 wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:45*pm, sd wrote:

Interesting, thanks Neil. It should be noted that there have been
chess problemists with a similar history, in at least one case the
family did not not know how important the preservation of the
individual's papers would have been and simply threw them away.

And what would that importance be? *...
when a chess problemists papers are lost, does anybody get adversely
affected? *Probably not.

One could just as easily say nobody would have been adversely
affected had all of Van Gogh's paintings been lost. Or if none of
Sophocles' plays had survived, the only result would be that we'd have
a different name for the Oedipus complex.

One notes that while Ray is casually dismissing the loss of chess
problemists' artistry, he seems quite intent on preserving his own
unremarkable games here.
Old June 21st 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jun 20, 9:45*pm, sd wrote:

Interesting, thanks Neil. It should be noted that there have been
chess problemists with a similar history, in at least one case the
family did not not know how important the preservation of the
individual's papers would have been and simply threw them away.

And what would that importance be? *...
when a chess problemists papers are lost, does anybody get adversely
affected? *Probably not.

* One could just as easily say nobody would have been adversely
affected had all of Van Gogh's paintings been lost. Or if none of
Sophocles' plays had survived, the only result would be that we'd have
a different name for the Oedipus complex.

* One notes that while Ray is casually dismissing the loss of chess
problemists' artistry, he seems quite intent on preserving his own
unremarkable games here.

I now believe that one of the special characteristics of strong chess
players which makes them interesting to study is an unusually large
desire to make themselves immortal. This is less obvious when you
study the great masters; they have already made themselves immortal
through chess. When you study strong amateur players, it seems to me
that an unusually large number have tried to implement grand plans
which would live far beyond them. Unlike Greek tragedies, their hubris
does not kill them, which makes life more interesting than fiction; we
get to see how they succeed, fail, or muddle through, and whether this
affects the rest of their lives. These quests for immortality seem to
be part of the families of strong players, as well as the players
themselves.

I am currently writing an article on Joseph D Redding, a strong San
Francisco player who (like Isaac Trabue in a previous article) tried
to change the ecology of the United States, as well as other more
standard and more successful attempts to make a name for himself.

Jerry Spinrad

Old June 21st 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jun 21, 5:26*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

* One could just as easily say nobody would have been adversely
affected had all of Van Gogh's paintings been lost. Or if none of
Sophocles' plays had survived, the only result would be that we'd have
a different name for the Oedipus complex.

* One notes that while Ray is casually dismissing the loss of chess
problemists' artistry, he seems quite intent on preserving his own
unremarkable games here.

You think this game is "unremarkable"? White goes from plus 2.5 pawns
to even in one or two non-obvious, natural moves--premature attack.

A masterpiece of defense, this one is:

[Event "Rated game, 5m + 0s"]
[Site "Main Playing Hall"]
[Date "2010.06.21"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Meise"]
[Black "Ray"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "D05"]
[WhiteElo "1591"]
[BlackElo "1630"]
[PlyCount "114"]
[EventDate "2010.06.21"]
[TimeControl "300"]

1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. e3 e6 4. Bd3 Be7 5. Nbd2 O-O 6. O-O Nbd7 7. b3
c6 8. Bb2
Qc7 9. c4 dxc4 10. Nxc4 Nb6 11. Rc1 Nxc4 12. bxc4 Qa5 13. Qc2 g6 14.
h4 Re8 15.
e4 Bf8 16. e5 Nd7 17. h5 Bg7 18. Ng5 Qd8 19. Nxf7 Kxf7 20. hxg6+ Kg8
21. gxh7+
Kh8 22. f4 Nf8 23. f5 exf5 24. Bxf5 Bxf5 25. Qxf5 Nxh7 26. Rf3 Rf8 27.
Qh5 Rxf3
28. gxf3 Qg5+ 29. Qxg5 Nxg5 30. Kg2 Rf8 31. Rf1 Kg8 32. d5 cxd5 33.
cxd5 Nf7
34. f4 Rd8 35. d6 Nxd6 36. Rd1 Nf7 37. Rxd8+ Nxd8 38. Kf3 Kf7 39. Ke4
Nc6 40.
f5 Ke8 41. f6 Bh6 42. e6 Bg5 43. Kf5 Bh4 44. Kg6 Bxf6 45. Kxf6 Nd8 46.
Be5 Nc6
47. Bd6 a6 48. a4 Nd4 49. Ke5 Nc6+ 50. Kd5 Nd8 51. Ke5 Nc6+ 52. Kd5
Nd8 53. e7
Nc6 54. Ke6 Nd4+ 55. Kd5 Nc6 56. Ke6 Nd4+ 57. Kd5 Nc6 1/2-1/2

Old June 21st 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jun 21, 6:31*pm, "
wrote:

I am currently writing an article on Joseph D Redding, a strong San
Francisco player who (like Isaac Trabue in a previous article) tried
to change the ecology of the United States, as well as other more
standard and more successful attempts to make a name for himself.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....on/sfbred2.htm

will help your research on J.D. Redding. Note his attempts at
stocking rivers with fish was a standard 19th century preoccupation,
since many dams earlier in that century had depleted salmon from
spawning in many rivers. Only now, in fact in the last 15 years, have
these worthless dams (constructed before the age of steam in some
cases) being torn down and fish returning, including on the east coast
with shad and salmon.

And you want to smear his good name? Shame on you if so.

RL
Old June 21st 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jun 21, 2:46*pm, raylopez99 wrote:
On Jun 21, 6:31*pm, "

wrote:

I am currently writing an article on Joseph D Redding, a strong San
Francisco player who (like Isaac Trabue in a previous article) tried
to change the ecology of the United States, as well as other more
standard and more successful attempts to make a name for himself.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....on/sfbred2.htm

will help your research on J.D. Redding. *Note his attempts at
stocking rivers with fish was a standard 19th century preoccupation,
since many dams earlier in that century had depleted salmon from
spawning in many rivers. *Only now, in fact in the last 15 years, have
these worthless dams (constructed before the age of steam in some
cases) being torn down and fish returning, including on the east coast
with shad and salmon.

And you want to smear his good name? *Shame on you if so.

RL

His piscatorial ambitions were, in fact, much grander than stocking
rivers with fish as given in the link above. I have no intention of
smearing his good name, but instead to celebrate the interesting life
of a chess player. This is a man who had major achievements in law,
music, chess, and other areas; a true American of the type who so
objected to waiting on a minor king that he threw the elevator man out
of the elevator and operated it himself so he would not have to wait;
and he moved heaven and Earth against enormous obstacles to bring
lobsters to California. Strangely, he is now mostly remembered for a
ceremony he devised called The Cremation of Care, which some
conspiracy theorists associate with the evils of the New World Order.
A life well worthy of celebration! And yes, I believe he clearly
craved immortality, and worked quite hard to achieve it; he would be
happy to know there was an article about him.

Jerry Spinrad

Old June 21st 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:

* One could just as easily say nobody would have been adversely
affected had all of Van Gogh's paintings been lost. Or if none of
Sophocles' plays had survived, the only result would be that we'd have
a different name for the Oedipus complex.

* One notes that while Ray is casually dismissing the loss of chess
problemists' artistry, he seems quite intent on preserving his own
unremarkable games here.

You think this game is "unremarkable"? *White goes from plus 2.5 pawns
to even in one or two non-obvious, natural moves--premature attack.

Come on, Ray. You were busted, and he let you off the hook (23.f5?
instead of 23.Rf3!). Being partial to the Colle-Zukertort myself, I
wish all my opponents played against it as badly as you did. Oh, and
then there was 35.d6? instead of 35.Rd1. This was like a marksmanship
contest between blind men.

A masterpiece of defense, this one is:

Ray Lopez, a legend in his own mind.
Old June 22nd 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.play-by-email,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jun 21, 4:44*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
On Jun 21, 3:41*pm, raylopez99 wrote:

A masterpiece of defense, this one is: