Old June 28th 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default White to promote pawn...and lose!

On Jun 28, 2:04*am, Mark Houlsby wrote:

Exactly, RL is a waste of time. Say it loud, and say it proud.

Do you have anything to suggest, a propos the inveterate troll?

Inveterate? At least I'm not an invertebrate*.

RL

* for your understanding, MH, a definition is called for:

An invertebrate is an animal without a backbone. The group includes
95% of all animal species all animals except those in the chordate
subphylum.
Old June 28th 10, 04:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On 28 June, 15:42, raylopez99 wrote:
On Jun 28, 2:04*am, Mark Houlsby wrote:

Exactly, RL is a waste of time. Say it loud, and say it proud.

Do you have anything to suggest, a propos the inveterate troll?

Inveterate? *At least I'm not an invertebrate*.

RL

* for your understanding, MH, a definition is called for:

*An invertebrate is an animal without a backbone. The group includes
95% of all animal species all animals except those in the chordate
subphylum.

It's ironic that Ray "I'm completely ****ing clueless about the
meaning
of 'ironic'" Lopez should suggest such a thing.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...8de6a97cf27a7e

It's not at all *surprising*, however. RL is absolutely reliable when
it comes to
making the dumbest play possible.

Keep wearing the juice, ****wit.

MH
Old June 28th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jun 27, 6:59*pm, sd wrote:

Well, that just makes me feel bad that I made Taylor go through that
crappy game with my recommendation. I was referring only to the idea
behind the FEN, not the horrific game which I stopped looking at after
the tenth mistake.

Your subsequent comments made me realize you were just spouting back
engine analysis and didn't understand the intricacies of the position
beyond a 1200 level or so. Too bad, I thought you had made some
progress.

At least it prompted me to look at a relevant game I played a few
years ago. Earlier I mentioned that an appropriate strategy in some
Sicilian Dragon positions is a minority attack. I've seen a number of
master games using that plan, and I happened to play such a game back
in 2003. It's far from perfect, I will hardly tout it as a "mistake-
free" game, but it does illustrate the general idea.

Davidson,Michael (1689) - Kingston,Taylor (1864), Burlington Chess
Club, VT, USA, 6 March 2003 (TL 30/60, SD/30):

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 g6

My preferred way of handling the Rossolimo variation, simply
ignoring the "threat" of Bxc6.

4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Bg7 6.c3

Wasting time and blocking the QN's natural square. The natural 6.Be3
was better.

6...Nf6 7.Nxc6 bxc6 8.Bd3 d5 9.exd5 cxd5

The strategic lines are clearly drawn. White's hopes lie in reaching
an endgame where he can advance his queenside majority and get a
passed pawn. Meanwhile Black has a central preponderance, and open
lines (a1h8 diagonal, b- and c-files) for a minority attack on the
queenside.

10.Bb5+

Moving this bishop for the 3rd time, while no other pieces are
developed, can't be the right idea. Better 10.00.

10...Bd7 11.Qa4 Qb6

Black in turn wastes time. Better 11...00 or 11...Qc7.

12.Bxd7+ Nxd7 13.00 Qc7 14.Re1 e6 15.Be3 00 16.Nd2 Rfb8

Starting the queenside pressure.

17.Nb3 Nb6 18.Bxb6

I'm quite happy to make this trade. My bishop will be superior to
White's knight.

18...Qxb6

18...Rxb6 might have been a little better. In any event, I felt
18...axb6 should be avoided, to maintain the veiled pressure on the b-
pawn. Since the c-pawn depends on it for protection, the b-pawn is in
effect a fixed target for the time being, and the crux of the
position.

19.Re2 Rc8 20.Qa5 Rab8 21.Qxb6 Rxb6

I don't mind exchanging queens either. As long as my rooks and
bishop are aimed queenside, the minority attack can still work. The
disappearance of the queens enhances my rooks, which have targets
while White's do not.

22.Rd1 Rcb8 23.Rdd2?

A definite mistake. Better 23.f4 or 23.Kf1.

23...a5?!

Too hasty; I spent only one minute on this move. Intent on kicking
the knight, I overlooked the chance to win a pawn immediately with
23...Ra6. As I recall, I was also hoping my opponent might fall for
the trap this move sets.

24.g3

Preventing a potential back-rank mate and avoiding the trap I hoped
to spring: 24.Nxa5?? Bxc3!+.

24...a4 25.Nc5?

Almost certainly better was 25.Nd4 , and if 25...e5 26.Nf3 f6
Black's pressure is blunted somewhat by the blocking of the long
diagonal. Likewise after 26...e4 27.Nd4, when White's knight is well
posted and Black's d-pawn may become a target.
Therefore after 25.Nd4, Black is probably best advised to keep
maneuvering, with for example 25...Rc8, waiting for another opening.
The text, however, allows Black to break through.

25...a3! 26.b3

26.bxa3 Rc8 27.Nb3 Ra6 28.Rd3 Rxc3 is even worse.

26...Rc6 27.Na4 Rbc8 28.Rd3 Bxc3 29.Rc2?

Relatively best was 29.Nxc3 Rxc3 30.Rxc3 Rxc3, but Black would
still be winning.

29...Bf6?!

In time pressure (about 30 seconds left before first control at move
30) I miss a decisive line: 29...Bb4! when further material loss is
forced, e.g. 30.Rxc6 Rxc6 31.Rd4 (or 31.Rd1 Rc2 32.Ra1 Bf8 intending
33 Bg7+) 31...Rc1+ 32.Kg2 Be1 etc.

30.Rxc6 Rxc6 31.b4 Rc4 32.Rb3

White is too timid. Better 32.Rxa3 Rxb4 33.Nc5 , and while Black is
still winning, he has a lot of work yet to do.

32...Be7 33.Nb6

Better 33.Nc5, though again after 33...e5 34.Rxa3 Rxb4 35.Ra8+ Kg7
36.Nb3 d4 Black is clearly winning. The text makes things easier.

33...Rxb4

Also good was 33...Rc1+ 34.Kg2 Rc2 35.Rxa3 Bxb4 36.Rf3 (36.Ra8+ Kg7
37.-- Be1) 36...Rxa2 The rest of the game needs no commentary.

34.Rxb4 Bxb4 35.Kf1 Kf8 36.Ke2 Ke7 37.Na4 Kd6 38.Kd3 e5 39.Nb6 e4+
40.Kc2 Kc6 41.Kb3 Bc5 42.Na4 Bxf2 43.Kxa3 e3 44.Nc3 d4 45.Ne2 d3
46.Nd4+ Kd5 01

Old June 28th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis
sd sd is offline

On Jun 28, 9:40*am, raylopez99 wrote:

Let's be factual please. *I am 1600 average (and have gone higher) at
Playchess. This translates to a Class A player in the real world.
What is your strength? *I never bothered to ask (for good reason: *you
hard ever contribute anything worthy of discussion here).

RL

We've discussed my playing strength before. If you are going to try
unsound gambits Ray, please don't keep trying them on the same person,
especially one who on his worst day outrates you by 600 points.

SBD