Old July 9th 10, 12:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default N on 6th rank as powerful as a R

A Mistake-Free (TM) blitz game, a RayLopez99 Instructional Game(TM)
and an Heirloom Chess (TM) game, all rolled up in one, enjoy!

The takeway here is though I took chances with the bishop taking on f6
in opening up the K-side to attack, I counterattacked on the other
side (as is proper), and I planted the knight firmly on the sixth
rank, where it is equivalent, says no less an authority than
Nimzovitch, to a rook in strength. Afterwards the game plays itself.
The the brilliant move (which Fritz also likes) 18. c5! seals the
win.

A masterpiece, and all done in less than 5 minutes! Meanwhile some
people we won't mention (TK) spend hours if not days on postal games
then uncork two move blunders.

RL

[Event "Rated game, 5m + 0s"]
[Site "Main Playing Hall"]
[Date "2010.07.09"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Ray"]
[Black "Dan"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C66"]
[WhiteElo "1618"]
[BlackElo "1686"]
[PlyCount "39"]
[EventDate "2010.07.09"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. O-O d6 5. d3 Bd7 6. Nc3 Ne7 7. Bxd7+
Qxd7 8.
Bg5 O-O-O 9. Bxf6 gxf6 10. Nd5 Nxd5 11. exd5 f5 12. c4 f6 13. Qb3 h5
14. a4 e4
15. Nd4 Rg8 16. Ne6 Re8 17. a5 Bh6 18. c5 e3 19. c6 bxc6 20. a6 1-0
Old July 9th 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jul 9, 2:49*pm, raylopez99 wrote:
A Mistake-Free (TM) blitz game, a RayLopez99 Instructional Game(TM)
and an Heirloom Chess (TM) game, all rolled up in one, enjoy!

Bumped for more visibility. There's a Teaching Moment (TM) here for
those that want to lern more better chess.

RL
Old July 10th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Jul 9, 2:23*pm, raylopez99 wrote:

On Jul 9, 2:49*pm, raylopez99 wrote:

A Mistake-Free (TM) blitz game, a RayLopez99 Instructional Game(TM)
and an Heirloom Chess (TM) game, all rolled up in one, enjoy!

Bumped for more visibility. *There's a Teaching Moment (TM) here for
those that want to lern more better chess.

It's a sad thing when the only person you can get to reply to your
post
is, well, you. Consider this reply a gesture of pity....

Although I rarely replay 'worthless' blitz games like yours, the
thread
header contained an interesting idea: that the letter N on the sixth
is as
powerful as the letter R. This is often true but there are cases (as
I've
shown) where an intruding letter N, upon reaching the sixth rank, can
simply be traded off. (Not so with the letter K!)

Nevertheless, such cases -- where an invading letter can simply be
traded off and thus rendered harmless -- are the exception rather
than
the rule. Many times getting a knight into the heart of enemy
territory
will cause such consternation (here, Phil: www.dictionary.com) that
the hated enemy, er, I mean the opponent will freeze up, like a
seized
piston.

On the other hand there are cases where you may go to a lot of
trouble to get a piece on the sixth rank only to find its effects are
less
than what was hoped for. This was the case in one of my old postal
chess games. I had 'hanging pawns' (that's a technical chess term,
Phil) and was eventually going to lose one of them so I decided to
try
and work up a mating attack on the long diagonal. Leaping onto d6
with my rook, I invited my opponent to 'win the exchange' (another
technical chess term, Phil) and this he did, but my attack fell short
and in the end I resigned a hopeless position. Well, wouldn't you
know it, Fritz found an improvement for me which could have given
my opponent fits but it involved throwing away a knight AND allowing
an annoying (but here, unwise) check. Sometimes I get the strange
impression that Fritz is an even better tactician than I am.

Old July 10th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On 10 July, 01:33, The Master wrote:
[...]

I shouldn't be at all surprised to discover that Fritz is also better
at distinguishing between Phil and Ray.

Greg, you're insane.

You need professional psychiatric help.

p.s. The Google validation code for this post is: inesses. I **** you