Old September 28th 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Conditions Great, Nearly Perfect for 2010 World Chess Olympiad

Conditions Great, Nearly Perfect for 2010 World Chess Olympiad

After all the fears of gloom and doom, it was wonderful when things
turned out to be perfect here in Khanty-Mansiysk in South-Western
Siberia. The just completed Olympiad Hotel is wonderful. The “Chess
Academy” where the FIDE Congress Meetings are being held was completed
on September 8, 2010.

Perhaps even more importantly, the Wi-Fi works perfectly, so we can
communicate with the outside world. All the hotels and the playing
hall here have Wi-Fi. There are 25 hotels in Khanty-Mansiysk, so the
fears that the chess players would have to sleep in sleeping bags in
the park were completely unfounded.

In addition, the weather is warm. So far, I have never had to wear a
coat when going out.

Just so as to not make this sound like a love letter, the bulletins
are terrible. The games in the bulletins do not play. Moves are
missing. Nobody else but me seems to have noticed this, so I guess
everybody else is watching the games online where all the games are
broadcast and available using DGT Sensory boards.

The bulletins do not contain the complete game results and team
standings, so one must go online or read the bulletin boards to get
this information. Fortunately, many of the players have brought
laptops and this information is available online.

The bulletins look nice and contain photographs and interviews, but
without games and team results they are a disappointment.

A special added feature of this Chess Olympiad is all of the teams
have been assigned a “Tutor”. These are young girls averaging age 20
who are college students who speak English nearly fluently. The tutors
are like tourist guides who take the teams around and show them the
town and help when needed.

Some of these tutors are not merely local girls and have come long
distances for this “job”. I spoke to one who lives 300 km from Khanty-
Mansiysk and who was gushing about how this was such a wonderful
opportunity to meet foreigners and practice her English. It seems that
there are not often many foreigners or English speakers here in the
depths of South-Western Siberia.

There are 124 of these Tutors. What is especially remarkable is that
and ALL of them are beautiful. I was just discussing this with the
lady from South Africa, the statistician improbability of finding 124
girls who speak English here and not one of whom is not beautiful. We
agreed that they must have interviewed a huge number of girls for
these jobs and finally winnowed it down so that only the most
beautiful ones got this volunteer assignment.

Old September 28th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Sep 28, 9:46*am, samsloan wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a great place for you to squat. No need to come back, your
hovel is being stripped clean as you write.