Old October 5th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Olympiad Hotel in Khanty-Mansiysk is Closing Right Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman
Thank you, Sam, for your reporting.

In some contexts, the Olympiad Hotel in Khanty-Mansiysk would be
called a Potemkin Village.

Cordially,

Tim Redman
"Potemkin village" has come to mean, especially during Soviet times,
any hollow or false construct, meant to create the illusion that the
common people were living well. Potemkin villages were constructed
along the sides of railroad lines, so that passing travelers could not
see the true living conditions of the people.

The Olympiad Hotel in Khanty-Mansiysk is not a Potemkin village. It is
or was a real hotel. It has about 840 rooms. Khanty-Mansiysk is a
small town with a reported population of 60,000 but I think it is a
lot smaller than that. I have walked all over the town and it does not
seem to be even half that size. It certainly has no need for an 840
room Las Vegas-style hotel. So, they have closed the hotel. I went to
the hotel yesterday and all the doors were locked and only security
personnel were there. They have not decided what to do with this
building that was constructed only for the players in the 39th World
Chess Olympiad.

I am still in Khanty-Mansiysk. I am staying in the Ugra Hotel. I will
return to America on October 10, 2010.

Old October 6th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Oct 5, 11:50*pm, samsloan wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman
Thank you, Sam, for your reporting.

In some contexts, the Olympiad Hotel in Khanty-Mansiysk would be
called a Potemkin Village.

Cordially,

Tim Redman

"Potemkin village" has come to mean, especially during Soviet times,
any hollow or false construct, meant to create the illusion that the
common people were living well. Potemkin villages were constructed
along the sides of railroad lines, so that passing travelers could not
see the true living conditions of the people.

The Olympiad Hotel in Khanty-Mansiysk is not a Potemkin village. It is
or was a real hotel. It has

....or had...

about 840 rooms. Khanty-Mansiysk is a
small town with a reported population of 60,000 but I think it is a
lot smaller than that.

Oh, well, that's settled, then.

"Khanty-Mansiysk city population is about 76,000 (2010) on the
territory of 251 sq. km."

http://russiatrek.org/khanty-mansiysk-city

Ace reporter Sloan gets his facts right again....

I have walked all over the town and it does not
seem to be even half that size. It certainly has no need for an 840
room Las Vegas-style hotel. So, they have closed the hotel. I went to
the hotel yesterday and all the doors were locked and only security
personnel were there. They have not decided what to do with this
building that was constructed only for the players in the 39th World
Chess Olympiad.

I am still in Khanty-Mansiysk. I am staying in the Ugra Hotel. I will
return to America on October 10, 2010.

I'm sure that U.S. security services will be glad to receive the
forewarning.

Sam Sloan

Sloan, you're a ****ing moron.

Mark Houlsby
Old October 7th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian,rec.games.chess.analysis

samsloan wrote:

[...]

What's the weather like Sam ?

m.