Old October 9th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Legal to take notes while playing?

I think I know the answer to this already but I want to make sure. Is
it legal for a player to take their own notes during a chess game?
They are not using anything other than blank sheets of paper and a
writing instrument. The notes they’re taking may be about the current
position, analysis of it, possible moves, and so forth. They may be
doing this while playing online or in-person. I believe that this is
entirely legal, but I want to make sure.
Thanks,
JL
Old October 9th 10, 08:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
sd sd is offline

USCF rule 20C from the fifth edition of the rulebook is entitled " Use
of notes prohibited."

FIDE probably has a similar rule.

SBD

Old October 9th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 00:27:30 -0700, sd wrote:

USCF rule 20C from the fifth edition of the rulebook is entitled " Use
of notes prohibited."

FIDE probably has a similar rule.

SBD

Indeed.
From http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...4&view=article
"12.3
a) During play the players are forbidden to make use of any notes,
sources of information or advice, or analyse on another chessboard"