Old May 12th 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Tanner and the Ethical Bankruptcy of the USCF

About twenty years ago in the early 1990s, Tanner sent in some false
and fraudulent rating reports involving games against non-existent
people.

He would never have been caught and it would not have been noticed
except for the recent creation of the MSA which makes all tournament
reports available online.

Even then, nobody would have noticed except that these old results put
him over 2300 giving him a floor of 2200 and then after he had played
300 games on his 2200 floor he became a "Life Master".

Then Eric Mark, a poster to this group, defeated him easily in a
tournament game and wrote that he played awfully weakly for a
"master".

This led me to look up his historical rating results and I discovered
the false reports submitted in 1991.

When my discovery became known, Tanner agreed to resign from the board
and to resign from all his FIDE and USCF positions.

I believe that he has paid his debt to society. He is also known as
one of the best and one of the very few top level scholastic
tournament organizers. There are very few capable of handling one of
these Super-National scholastic events with thousands of kids like the
one last weekend.

Polgar, Truong and Alexander are a different matter altogether. They
were trying to steal the entire United States Chess Federation and
take all the money. They need to be prosecuted, convicted and
sentenced to a term in prison. Their activities have cost the USCF
over $600,000 and have pushed it to the brink of bankruptcy.

By the way, it is not true that Tanner was forced off the board.
Tanner resigned from the board because Bill Goichberg asked him to. I
believe that the real reason Goichberg
asked Tanner to resign had nothing to do with the ratings scandal.
Tanner would sometimes vote the opposite from Goichberg when votes
were taken on the USCF Executive Board. Goicherg only wants reliable
sycophants who always vote with him on the board. Goichberg had two
sycophants on the board, Randy Hough and Joel Channing, who NEVER
voted opposite to Goichberg when I was on the board. With Tanner gone,
the only votes remaining were myself, Don Schultz and Beatrice
Marinello and our three votes were never enough to overrule anything
done by Goichberg without board approval.

Old May 12th 11, 02:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On May 11, 9:06*pm, samsloan wrote:
I believe that he has paid his debt to society. He is also known as
one of the best and one of the very few top level scholastic
tournament organizers. There are very few capable of handling one of
these Super-National scholastic events with thousands of kids like the
one last weekend.

I agree.

The man did a bad thing. He screwed up. However, when confronted he
manned up, took his lumps, and did the honorable thing. Time to move
on.

The hypocritical, zero-defect mentality some people have about
volunteers who donate their time and expertise to a dysfunctional
organization like the USCF is apalling. At least Tanner had the sack
to admit when he was wrong, unlike so many of the RGCP regulars and
others on the EB.

All the man's doing is directing tournaments. Somebody's gotta do
it....if it ain't him, then who? Probably not the useless slugs who
**** and moan but don't lift a finger to help. Bottom line: Unless
those bitching about it are willing to step up, donate their own time,
and take his place behind the TD table, shut the **** up and let the
man be. Or don't play in tournaments he directs if it gets your
panties in a bunch.

Unless you're running tournaments yourself and recruiting others to
follow suit, you've got no standing. Live, let live, and get over
it. Tanner paid his debt.

Regards,

Matt
Old May 12th 11, 02:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

[...]

Sam Sloan

We'll just have to disagree on this one. What he did strikes to the
heart of the rating system. He perpetrated a fraud on clients who
hired him based on his status as a master, both individually and
school districts. According to a post by Hal Bogner, he lost a
contract with a school district because of his fraud. As Mike Murry
pointed out, you would not want a nurse practitioner posing as a
doctor. I can't imagine anyone cheating in such a manner ever being
entrusted with one of the highest responsibilities on TDing in the US
ever again. But, he's part of that good old boys club, Sam. It's a
club you don't belong to. If you did, you would have gotten into the
US Championship. If you had done what Tanner did, they'd probably
expel you from the USCF.
Old May 12th 11, 02:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On May 11, 9:22*pm, Matt Nemmers wrote:
[...]

All the man did for 18, repeat, 18 years was live, work and advance in
chess circles as a FRAUD. BTW, has he ever actually admitted what he
did and apologized? My understanding from Hal Bogner is that he never
has.
Old May 12th 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On May 11, 9:25*pm, BL wrote:

All the man did for 18, repeat, 18 years was live, work and advance in
chess circles as a FRAUD. BTW, has he ever actually admitted what he
did and apologized? *My understanding from Hal Bogner is that he never
has.-

What about Kevin Bachler. He did a similar thing with kids(students)
and his own rating. Has he ever apoligized or resigned?

Old May 12th 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On May 11, 9:36*pm, None wrote:
On May 11, 9:25*pm, BL wrote:

All the man did for 18, repeat, 18 years was live, work and advance in
chess circles as a FRAUD. BTW, has he ever actually admitted what he
did and apologized? *My understanding from Hal Bogner is that he never
has.-

What about Kevin Bachler. He did a similar thing with kids(students)
and his own rating. Has he ever apoligized or resigned?

My understanding is that the tournaments at issue have been pulled
from the MSA, but I think his son still has whatever rating he
obtained in those tournaments. Don't know the answer to the last
question.
Old May 13th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On May 11, 9:40*pm, BL wrote:

What about Kevin Bachler. He did a similar thing with kids(students)
and his own rating. Has he ever apoligized or resigned?

My understanding is that the tournaments at issue have been pulled
from the MSA, but I think his son still has whatever rating he
obtained in those tournaments. Don't know the answer to the last
question.

Yes, I see. There are gaps where his rating is 21nn and then at the
next tourney he starts with a rating of 22nn. I guess they didn't want
to effect his rating as that would cause a mess with all opponent
ratings. So he gets to brag about being a master when he never
hontestly got a master rating. They should knock his rating down 200
points and restrict him to playing in Opens and classes over 2200.

Old May 13th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On May 11, 9:25*pm, BL wrote:
All the man did for 18, repeat, 18 years was live, work and advance in
chess circles as a FRAUD.

"Advance in chess circles." "As a fraud."

In other words, he purposely inflated a number that purportedly
predicts one's future performance at a game, issued by a non-profit
organization, so he could impress people who also play to make them
think he was better at the game than he is.

Somebody fire up the electric chair.

BTW, has he ever actually admitted what he
did and apologized? *My understanding from Hal Bogner is that he never
has.

Who cares? Isn't this old news? Besides, everybody who does happen
to care about this already knows what he did and he knows they know.
I'll go out on a limb and say that he probably won't be doing that
again.

I assume you're saying he should be banned from ever directing a chess
tournament again. I say that's stupid. Let it go, man.

Regards,

Matt

Old May 13th 11, 09:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On Fri, 13 May 2011 10:27:48 -0700 (PDT), Matt Nemmers
wrote:

In other words, he purposely inflated a number that purportedly
predicts one's future performance at a game, issued by a non-profit
organization, so he could impress people who also play to make them
think he was better at the game than he is.

and to pay him for services, based on this credential. In other
words, fraud.

Somebody fire up the electric chair.

Being a flim-flam man isn't a capital offence. But he's not someone
you want in, say, accounting either. As I noted in the USCF forum,
his redemption or lack of it isn't one of my hot buttons. But various
posters were claiming what he did to be "victimless". I don't think
so, although on a scale of 1-10 (10 being stealing from one's invalid
mother's retirement fund), it ranks down in the very low single
digits.
Old May 14th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.analysis

On May 13, 1:27*pm, Matt Nemmers wrote:
On May 11, 9:25*pm, BL wrote:

All the man did for 18, repeat, 18 years was live, work and advance in
chess circles as a FRAUD.

"Advance in chess circles." *"As a fraud."

In other words, he purposely inflated a number that purportedly
predicts one's future performance at a game, issued by a non-profit
organization, so he could impress people who also play to make them
think he was better at the game than he is.

You miss the point. Tanner built his livelihood on a fraud. At least
one school district fired him when the found out what he'd done. Some
of us value honesty more than others. If it were Sam Sloan instead of
Tanner, I suspect you'd be singing a different tune.

Somebody fire up the electric chair.

BTW, has he ever actually admitted what he
did and apologized? *My understanding from Hal Bogner is that he never
has.

Who cares? *Isn't this old news?

You don't but others do.

*Besides, everybody who does happen
to care about this already knows what he did and he knows they know.
I'll go out on a limb and say that he probably won't be doing that
again.

Have you polled all his clients over the period of 18 year? I did't
think so, which means you're talking through your sphincter again.He
won't be doing that again because he's being

I assume you're saying he should be banned from ever directing a chess
tournament again. *I say that's stupid. *Let it go, man.

That's not my position. I say let him TD local and club events, but
keep him away from state and national championships.

Regards,

Matt