Old October 16th 12, 06:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

Default Life of a Chess Professional

What is it like being a professional chess player? Is the lifestyle easy and do you make a good living. I was wondering why some people decide to become GMs while other decide to give after getting to a certain level of chess ability.

Do you think it is a good idea for someone to spend 4 years and go to college and get a college degree or is it better to devote 4 years to studying and playing chess and try to become a GM.

After you become a GM, is it a nice lifestyle? I saw that the top 10 players make good money and if you play in the world championship then you could become a millionaire. I guess it must be like a tennis player? Chess players go to open tournaments or invitational events and then get paid to play or get endorsement deals? I don't see much media exposure for chess in the USA. But I heard that in Europe that people get paid thousands or euros just to play a couple rounds in the Bundensliga league. is that true?

Old October 16th 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis

On 16/10/2012 18:51, Zero wrote:
What is it like being a professional chess player? Is the lifestyle easy and do you make a good living. I was wondering why some people decide to become GMs while other decide to give after getting to a certain level of chess ability.

Dunno. Of all the people that I have ever played I think only 5 were or
went on to become professional players at IM standard or higher.

One of them went on to play Kasparov for the world title - so I expect
he does OK on the circuit. He was already a full GM aged 19.

Everyone else found that something else paid better and plays chess for
a hobby. I don't know what the statistics are like now but unless you
are pushing a rating of 2400+ at U20 you probably cannot earn a living
doing it unless you also write about chess as well.

Do you think it is a good idea for someone to spend 4 years and go to college and get a college degree or is it better to devote 4 years to studying and playing chess and try to become a GM.

How good are you really? I have known one chess prodigy.

After you become a GM, is it a nice lifestyle? I saw that the top 10 players make good money and if you play in the world championship then you could become a millionaire. I guess it must be like a tennis player? Chess players go to open tournaments or invitational events and then get paid to play or get endorsement deals? I don't see much media exposure for chess in the USA. But I heard that in Europe that people get paid thousands or euros just to play a couple rounds in the Bundensliga league. is that true?

Probably a rumour. A handful of top ranked GMs command appearence fees.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown