Old July 7th 03, 06:16 PM

Default Jaan Ehlvest wins World Open

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:42:07 -0400, Dan Heisman
wrote:

I apologize to Sam Sloan.

I was not correct when I wrote in the previous post in this thread that he did not play: He did act as a
filler in the U2200 section on the final day (which I why I originally knew he was not in the primary event
since he had not been there during the week and I attended every day Wednesday-Sunday). And yes, Sam did
beat young Michael Thaler, as the crosstable at http://www.worldopen.com/2003Results/2200.htm will confirm
Sam's "perfect" 2-0 Sunday.

- Dan H

Correct, and thank you.

After the start of Round 9, Steve Immitt asked me if I wanted to play
another game as a filler. I replied, "Yes, as long as my opponent is
White."

This made my prospective opponent, who was standing nearby, just about
jump out of his skin, because he was a black guy. Steve Immitt said,
"You just said the wrong thing." I hastily explained that I wanted to
play the black pieces in the chess game. I did not tell my opponent
the reason, which is I wanted to spring my Damiano's Defense on him.

Sad to relate, my opponent spoiled my experiment by playing 1. d4, so
I had to resort to my staid and stodgy Englund Gambit. I soon regreted
this, as I damn near lost. My opponent missed a mate, but I will bet
that you cannot find it without a computer.

Just before I was going to be checkmated, my opponent overlooked my
mate threat and so I won the game. I calculate that I gained 31 rating
points from these two games.

A good, though imperfect, game.

http://www.worldopen.com/2003Results/2200.htm

Old July 7th 03, 06:24 PM

wrote:

[...]

Sam Sloan

[Event "World Open"]
[Site "Philadelphia USA"]
[Date "2003.07.06"]
[Round "09"]
[White "Fredericks, Jason"]
[Black "Sloan, Sam"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "1850"]
[BlackElo "1925"]

1.d4 e5 2.dxe5 Nc6 3.Nf3 Qe7 4.e4 Nxe5 5.Be2 Nf6 6.Nc3 c6 7.O-O
d6 8.Bf4 Bd7 9.Qd4 Ng6 10.Bg3 c5 11.Qd3 Bc6 12.Nd5 Qd7 13.c4
O-O-O 14.Qa3 Kb8 15.Bd3 Re8 16.Rfe1 Nh5 17.b4 Nxg3 18.hxg3 Ne5
19.Nxe5 dxe5 20.bxc5 h5 21.Red1 h4 22.Bf1 Qe6 23.Qa5 hxg3 24.Qc7+
Ka8 25.Nb6+ axb6 26.Rd8+ Rxd8 27.Qxd8+ Ka7 28.cxb6+ Ka6 29.c5+
Ka5 30.Qd2+ Ka4 31.Qc2+ Ka3 32.Qc3+ Ka4 33.Rb1 Rh1+ 34.Kxh1 Qh6+
0-1