Old December 10th 03, 08:38 AM
Stephen Gray

Default Openings library

Hello.

I am looking for a website that lists the most sommon chess openings by
their opening move rather than the name of the opening. All the sites I can
find are by name. Can anyone help ? Books ?

Regards
Stephen Gray

Old December 10th 03, 06:35 PM
Cesar A. K. Grossmann

Stephen Gray wrote:

I am looking for a website that lists the most sommon chess openings by
their opening move rather than the name of the opening. All the sites I can
find are by name. Can anyone help ? Books ?

There's a small "opening repertoire recommendations" at
http://chess.about.com/library/ble50...?PM=ss13_chess - I hope it helps.

[]s
--
..O. Cesar A. K. Grossmann ICQ UIN: 35659423
...O http://www.LinuxByGrossmann.cjb.net/

Old December 11th 03, 03:10 AM
Mike Ogush

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:38:07 -0000, "Stephen Gray"
wrote:

Hello.

I am looking for a website that lists the most sommon chess openings by
their opening move rather than the name of the opening. All the sites I can
find are by name. Can anyone help ? Books ?

Regards
Stephen Gray

I am not sure exactly what you after, but here are some resources:

If you want to find the name of an opening or the ECO code that
corresponds to a given sequence of moves then the programs extract (or
PGN extract) or ECOclass might be what you are after. These are
available on the PGN Utilties page - fo a google search on "PGN
Utilities" and "extract" to get this site.

If you are trying to find how frequently a position (after a given
sequence of moves) has come up in practice, I believe Chess Assitant
will display info about the number of games or % of all games in the
mega-database of games that a position shows up in. A free light
version of Chess Assistant can be downloaded from the web.

If neither of these is what you want, perhaps you could restate your
request and let us know what question you are tying to answer with
such a web-site or application.

Mike Ogush

Old December 11th 03, 10:07 AM
Stephen Gray

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for you help.

SPG

Old December 11th 03, 10:04 PM
Mike Leahy

"Stephen Gray" wrote in message
Hello.

I am looking for a website that lists the most sommon chess openings by
their opening move rather than the name of the opening. All the sites I

can
find are by name. Can anyone help ? Books ?

Regards
Stephen Gray

One easy way to find out the names of chess openings by move order is
to download the free Bookup 2000 Lite and open the "Opening Guide"
ebook that comes with it.

http://www.bookup.com and click on Free Downloads at the top.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"

Old December 28th 03, 01:22 PM
matt -`;'-

"Stephen Gray" wrote in message
Hello.

I am looking for a website that lists the most sommon chess openings by
their opening move rather than the name of the opening. All the sites I

can
find are by name. Can anyone help ? Books ?

Regards
Stephen Gray

If you mean by ECO code then there is a java chess database here that will
let you review many openings:
http://www.chessgames.com/

--
matt -`;'-