Old July 8th 03, 10:50 PM
Scott

Default How I beat a Child Chess Genius by Sam Sloan

How I beat a Child Chess Genius by Sam Sloan:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old July 8th 03, 11:27 PM
StanB

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
How I beat a Child Chess Genius by Sam Sloan:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

This is hilarious. I played that kid a few years back and he was well
trained but hardly a subject for a book.

StanB

Old July 9th 03, 02:34 AM

On 8 Jul 2003 14:50:57 -0700, (Scott) wrote:

How I beat a Child Chess Genius:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Opening Moves : The Making of a Young Chess Champion: Michael Thaler
by Barry Berg, Fred Thaler, David Hautzig (Illustrator), Fred &. Linda
Thayer

Editorial Reviews
From School Library Journal
Grade 1-5-Michael Thaler's passion for chess at age six and his rise
to become a national championship player are described in an engaging
manner. Short chapters tell about the boy's thirst for the game, his
development as a player, and the lessons he has learned from chess,
including patience and planning. The author also analyzes three of the
boy's games and includes an afterword by his father on his reaction to
competitive tournaments. Throughout the book, Thaler remains a child
who also enjoys playing the piano and Little League baseball. Large,
full-color photographs enhance the author's descriptions of the
youngster's development. While well written, the book's appeal may be
limited to children interested in chess or biographies of other
youngsters.
Janice C. Hayes, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreeboro
Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Booklist
Eight-year-old Michael Thaler discovered chess at the age of four and
won his first match barely a week later. Since then he has continued
to study and play, winning numerous championships and tournaments.
This perceptive book, with photos by David Hautzig, details how
Michael pursues his passion, even as he lives life as a regular kid.
Michael shares the seven lessons he has learned from chess (prepare,
respect your opponent, focus, be patient, develop a plan, and win and
lose with grace) as... read more

See all editorial reviews...

Customer Reviews
Avg. Customer Review:
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

chess has the fun, May 28, 2002
Reviewer: An 8-year old reader
This is the best book I ever read! If someone doesn't understand the
book, I suggest reading "Modern Chess Openings."
The 3 games taught me: pawns are important, 2 rooks is better than a
queen, and gambits are not dangerous, lik the QG. For beginners and
experts, chess knowledge blongs behind this book!!!

Was this review helpful to you?

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

For whom is this book being marketed?, June 23, 2001
Reviewer: Beth Gallaway (see more about me) from Hampton, NH USA
Six-year-old Michael Thaler became the National Kindergarten Chess
Champion in 1999. The book follows his brief career to date and
imparts the life lessons Michael has learned through chess: prepare,
focus, win some, lose some, have patience, etc. These are difficult to
learn lessons for most adults, let alone children. Still, the author
very clearly demonstrates Michael's passion and talent for the game.
The book takes a turn for the worse when the narrative details three
games Michael has lost and learned from - and rehashes them in complex
chess code without any explanation save an unexplained diagram! Who is
this book for? Not for the novice chess player, and not for your
average 8 year old. A brief chapter on basic moves, or even a glossary
(what is an opening? An endgame? The Scandanavian defense?) is
decidedly lacking.
The art design of the book is a little disturbing - the designer opted
for contrasting colors instead of chess-themed black and white. The
cool tones on the cover are nice, but inside, nothing seems to fit
together. A checkerboard motif is repeated throughout, and the border
wittily changes from pawns to kings as Michael progresses. Lots of
white space makes the book easy to look at, but the readability of the
text is very uneven. David Hautzig's photos are evocative, but it is
disappointing that the same picture was used at the beginning of each
new chapter.
A thoughful afterword by Michael's dad encourages parents to introduce
their children to chess, and mentions its benefits. Suggestions for
starting a local club or finding a teacher or evening contacting the
National Organization could have made a useful appendix.
Hardly a necessary purchase, briefly consider it for chess fans. Best
to save your money until - or if -- Michael reaches master status.