Old December 14th 03, 03:34 PM
Eric Bentzen

Default Palview 4 now released

I'm pleased to announce that we have now released a new version of Andrew
Templeton's PALVIEW program. Palview allows you to take a chess game stored
in PGN format and convert it into an Html/JavaScript page for viewing on a
website. Palview offers excellent layout control and is widely used on the
Internet.

Among the new features are the Problem and Tactics pages. These are quiz
pages where a problem or a tactical exercise is shown to the visitor who can
then try and guess the solution by making the right move on the board. The
visitor gets 3 guesses after which the solution is revealed.

Another powerful new feature is the Magazine page type. Older versions of
Palview converted a pgn game file to an html webpage with javascript. This
page could then be edited if you wanted to insert text, images etc. This is
indeed still possible, but with the new Magazine page type you can pass a
pgn file and an html template file containing Palview commands that tell
Palview where to insert gamelinks, crosstables, game index, opening index,
static diagrams etc. This page type is ideal for articles, newsletters and
tournament coverage. All replayable games open in a separate gameviewer
window.

Along with Palview we have also released a new version of PalMate, the
graphical interface for Palview that allows you to easily design and
generate Palview pages.

The Pal programs are all freeware and have their home at
http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/palview/index.htm
Demopages at http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/palvie.../demoindex.htm

Regards,

Eric Bentzen, Norresundby Chess Club