Old January 20th 04, 02:42 PM
mafergut

Default What's happening lately with these newsgroups?

Hi all chess fans and polite posters from these newsgroups

First of all, sorry for crossposting but I think what I'll write applies
equally to the three ng's.
Is it me or in the last weeks this newsgroups are full of spam, nonsense,
cracking and other worthless **** posting? It is increasingly difficult to
discern the useful ans serious posts from the nauseating volume of crap
generated. My killfiles are also increasing but it seems not to be useful
anymore.

I know its like shouting in the desert but I would like all this to
dissapear. Perhaps the best action is to simply ignore it, but it annoys me
in the extreme, to the point of beginning to consider to stop reading these
ng's.

Regards,
mafergut

Old January 20th 04, 03:33 PM
Kerry Liles

Yup... newsgroups that are not moderated are just a sewer. They attract all
sorts of vermin.
You either have to ignore it; killfile it; block sender or just stop reading
the ng.

Old January 20th 04, 03:50 PM
NetSock

"mafergut" wrote in message
[...]

It is the simple growth and evolution of Usenet. I have been on Usenet since
the beginning, and in the beginning its intention was to share collegiate
information between schools and/or departments. Since it was "open" to all
domains, those domains started to buy and setup their own news-server. Sys
ops decided what would be propagated to their machines, and what would not.
As commercial domain (ISPs) users discovered Usenet, we found a large
insurgents of "newbies" into Usenet. As everybody and their brother stated
setting up news-servers, domains and groups added every possible different
kind of group you could imagine.

There has always been "Netiquette", in fact, that term was born on Usenet.
In the early days there were also "charters" to dictate behavior, and soon
after that, "FAQs" which sometimes included conduct guidelines. But as the
net grew, users found that their ISPs didn't really care about conduct on
Usenet...short of something proven illegal, ISPs did nothing about conduct
on Usenet, and even then some would do nothing...unless forced by law
enforcement.

Usenet today has evolved into seespool of spammers, flamers, and OT posts,
because ISPs will not force their users to comply. And why should
they...that would mean they lose a paying customer to another ISP...who of
course doesn't force compliance.

It is the nature of the beast, and something we have to live with. Kill
files and message rules work well, but I have also found many are moving
over to moderated web-based sites that are topic specific.

Some continue to "crusade" against user who violate by complaining to their
ISP, but I have never seen any positive result from any ISP.

Looks like we just have to deal with it...

Old January 20th 04, 04:48 PM
Harold Buck

In article ,
"Kerry Liles" wrote:

Yup... newsgroups that are not moderated are just a sewer. They attract all
sorts of vermin.
You either have to ignore it; killfile it; block sender or just stop reading
the ng.

The best option is to have interests that are far enough from the
mainstream that the NGs don't attract a lot of idiots.

Barring that, plan on taking a few minutes per day to killfile people. I
used to killfile judiciously--giving second and third chances--but now I
terminate with extreme prejudice.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson
Old January 21st 04, 01:22 AM
Randy Bauer

I agree, it's gotten worse of late. Still, the guys who post 20 straight
messages are pretty easy to get rid of. I'd hate to think that people will
leave the group over that nuisance. In many respects, I'd rather some of
the incessant posters who believe they are on topic went away.

Old January 21st 04, 06:40 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:42:30 +0100, "mafergut"
wrote:

Hi all chess fans and polite posters from these newsgroups

First of all, sorry for crossposting but I think what I'll write applies
equally to the three ng's.
Is it me or in the last weeks this newsgroups are full of spam, nonsense,
cracking and other worthless **** posting? It is increasingly difficult to
discern the useful ans serious posts from the nauseating volume of crap
generated. My killfiles are also increasing but it seems not to be useful
anymore.

I know its like shouting in the desert but I would like all this to
dissapear. Perhaps the best action is to simply ignore it, but it annoys me
in the extreme, to the point of beginning to consider to stop reading these
ng's.

Regards,
mafergut

Yes, it is much worse ... but somebody is taking the time to do this
for some reason. Might be best to track down who it is and send the
obligatory abuse email to their ISP or USENET provider. On the bright
side, Agent is allowing me to keep up with those fools nicely, so I
don't have access to any posts to aid in tracking.

Tom Veldhouse
Old January 30th 04, 11:30 PM
GEACPS

Randy, is Debbie still cheating on you? I hope she doesn't get aids.....you
know it is very risky for women that sleep around that much.

news:[email protected]_s04...