Old February 11th 04, 08:09 PM
Eric Mark

Default Strange 4-knights line (no political content)

(Larry Tapper) wrote in message . com...
(Eric Mark) wrote in message . com...

...There's an old issue of Chess Horizons I lost much to my regret,

from
the late 1980s, I believe. I'd trade a Macanudo for a copy in decent
shape.

Great analysis of a crazy line in the Scotch Four Nights where out of

the blue Black plays ....Nxe4, seeming to hang the piece to the white
knight on c3, ((and there's no white bishop on c4, so the ...d5 fork
idea is out)) but after ....Qe7 he wins the pinned white knight, since
Qe2 allows a mess that's good for Black after ....Nxd4. It's kind of
the mirror image of the famous Petrov game which a young Anand lost in
about 6 moves. White can trade Knights on c6, starting a crazy tempo
dance that doesn't lead to very much. Fascinating stuff.

Eric,

I couldn't tell here whether you were describing a line you knew or
trying to remember how it went.

In case it was the latter, the variation goes 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.
Nc3 Nc6 4. d4 exd4 5. Nxd4 Nxe4!?

6. Nxc6 Nxc3 7. Nxd8 Nxd1 8. Nxf7 Kxf7 looks fine for Black; the main
line is considered to be 6. Nxe4 Qe7 7. f3 d5 8. Bb5 with complicated
play.

I like to play this line myself, though I haven't had many
opportunities. 5...Nxe4 certainly has shock value in blitz games! If
you look in a database you'll find a few games with strong players,
e.g. Mikhalevski and Teske.

I don't recall seeing this in CH, but it looks like the sort of line
Joe Shipman would have analyzed --- he published a series of articles
on double king pawn openings. Maybe George Mirijanian could confirm?

Regards, Larry Tapper

Yes that's the line and incredibly I got the chance to play this as
black on Monday night. It was a wild game against a fellow 1900ish
player that ended in a draw after mutual mistakes. (Then again that
describes a lot of my games these days.)

My opponent chose 6. Nxc6 and I varied from your line above with
8...Nxf2. That was probably a mistake because he then had a chance to
play Be3 threatening to trap my knight. In this case it's actually an
advantage for White not to have a d-pawn, because his QB gets out
quickly, preventing ...g6 and allowing quick Q-side castling.

He played Bc4 instead and it was a mess for several moves. Still
waiting for Fritz's verdict. I made at least two inaccuracies but was
lucky to draw the eventual R+P ending after White underestimated his
chances. (It was probably a draw but he could have tortured me for a
long time. Too nice a guy.)

Fun stuff. I'm glad I tried it. If I find the game score I'll post it
here.

Thanks for the input, Larry.

Regards,

Eric M