Old March 2nd 04, 12:52 PM
John Simmons

Default Vallejo Pons v Leko

Hello,

I had a game in the Scotch line that occurred, in a Major Open game last
summer, that game went

1. e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nxc6 bxc6 6. e5 Qe7 7. Qe2 Nd5
8c4 Nb6 9. Nd2 a5 9. b3?! a4 10 Bb2 pxp 11 pxp RxR 12 BxR Qa3

According to Emms this can lead to a position where white has compensation
for a pawn, but don't find it very convincing.

Originally thought Pons 9. b3 was an improvement but how does white avoid
transposing to line above after immediate 9...a5 instead of 9... Qe6?

Bye John S

Old March 3rd 04, 11:12 AM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

John Simmons wrote:

Hello,

I had a game in the Scotch line that occurred, in a Major Open game last
summer, that game went

1. e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nxc6 bxc6 6. e5 Qe7 7. Qe2 Nd5
8c4 Nb6 9. Nd2 a5 9. b3?! a4 10 Bb2 pxp 11 pxp RxR 12 BxR Qa3

According to Emms this can lead to a position where white has compensation
for a pawn, but don't find it very convincing.

What pawn?

Originally thought Pons 9. b3 was an improvement but how does white avoid
transposing to line above after immediate 9...a5 instead of 9... Qe6?

Alternatives for White:

Play not b3. 9. Qe4 looks playable.

Move the rook out of the a-file. 10. Rb1 axb3 11. axb3 Qe6 12. Qe4
could be equal.

Claus-Juergen
Old March 3rd 04, 01:57 PM
John Simmons

Hello,

Sorry was not very clear stopped the line a bit early. After 13 ... Qa3. (
During the game thought for a long time on move 10, trying to avoid what
follows, had missed Qa3 earlier). A more or less forced line is 14 Qd1 bb4
15 bd3 qa5 16 ke2 d6 (During game to avoid moving king, played 16 Bd4? 0.0
17 Be3 eventually dropping pawn for absolute no comp.) 17 Nf3 bg4 18 qc2
p*e5 This was the position were Emms thinks white as play for pawn. Your
suggestion of 9Qe4 is a solid move, was lucky that 9b3 was not just a
blunder, and not that lucky because lost game anyway.Will look at your
suggestion of 11rb1, think you mean white has played 10nd2 or wouldn;t make
sense, but feel black should be more than ok there.

Bye John S

Old March 4th 04, 02:55 PM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

John Simmons wrote:

1. e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nxc6 bxc6 6. e5 Qe7 7. Qe2

Nd5
8c4 Nb6 9. Nd2 a5 9. b3?! a4 10 Bb2 pxp 11 pxp RxR 12 BxR Qa3

Sorry was not very clear stopped the line a bit early. After 13 ... Qa3. (
During the game thought for a long time on move 10, trying to avoid what
follows, had missed Qa3 earlier). A more or less forced line is 14 Qd1 bb4
15 bd3 qa5 16 ke2 d6 (During game to avoid moving king, played 16 Bd4? 0.0
17 Be3 eventually dropping pawn for absolute no comp.) 17 Nf3 bg4 18 qc2
p*e5 This was the position were Emms thinks white as play for pawn.

This could well be. White can either aim to get the pawn back with 19.
Be4 or develop with Rd1. The minor black pieces on the queenside are
almost out of play.

Your move 16. Bd4 wasn't bad at all, if you had followed up with
16...0-0 17. Qc2. For example 17...h6 18. Ke2 (threat Ra1) 18...Qa8
19. Ra1 Qb8 20. Kf1 with an excellent game. Or 17...c5 18. Bb2 h6 19.
Ke2. If Black trades at d2, White has a definite endgame advantage
(two bishops).

Will look at your
suggestion of 11rb1, think you mean white has played 10nd2 or wouldn;t make
sense, but feel black should be more than ok there.

In your line 9. Nd2 is played.

Claus-Juergen
Old March 6th 04, 10:41 AM
John Simmons

Hello,

Thanks for helpful comments. Went back to my score sheet to check if
remembered game correctly. The game actually went 15 Bd4 qa5 16 Be2. In my
long thinking I was worried about my king being opened up if played e5*d6 in
various lines and was trying to block e-file. That's my excuse for passive
play anyway. Hope to get the change to try out your suggestions sometime.
The Major Open, last year in Edinburgh, is just about the only
Tournament in UK were amateur players can prepare for opponents. Games
played in afternoon, and in the mornings there is something of a "feeding
frenzy" as players get photo copies of opponents games from previous rounds.
In game just described I had beaten a significantly higher opponent with
Scotch in an earlier round. Opponent had prepared with Emms book, and wiped
out moves more or less instantly. I had stupidly only prepared using Wells's
book, the 9...a5 is a newish idea from Mark Hebden apparently, even though
had both. Got nearly a hour behind clock by move 15 or so. Anyway that was
just an explanation of background behind game. Quite tempted to show other
two loses to see what you would make of them. Would not have the excuse of a
Linares tie in though.

(

Old March 6th 04, 11:22 AM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

John Simmons wrote:

Quite tempted to show other
two loses to see what you would make of them. Would not have the excuse of a
Linares tie in though.

Bring it on!

Claus-Juergen
Old March 9th 04, 02:35 PM
John Simmons

Ok since you asked for it so to speak, will show the game which was the
lowlight of the tournament for me.

1 c4 c6 2. g3 d5 3. Bg2 Nf6 4.Nf3 The first controversial position in the
game. The "star" players of this Reti positon always avoid gambiting the
c-pawn like this. However Kosten in the Dynamic English and Watson in his
latest middle game book quite like it. Felt I should take the pawn in
principal, and also didn't like the endgame after [4... bf5
6 p*p p*p 7. Qb3 Qb6 8. Q*Q. Since the game have looked at 4... Bg4 5 Ne5
Be6
6. p*p B*p 7.Nf3 c5 8. Nc3 Bc6 as a "solid" approach.]

4....p*p 5. Na3 This look suspicous and from what I have found out since it
is. However working things out at the board was not so easy. Wanted to
play[ 5... b5 but thought that
6. N*p p*p 7. Ne5 was good for white. Looking immediately after game just
5...Qc7leaves white struggling. Later found out 5..b5 was played by
Petrosian so probably sound. Also found a Keres game with 5...e5 which is
based on idea if 6. N*e5 B*N 7. p*B Qd4. This kind of shows that 5.0.0 or
5.Qc2 are better ways to play gambit. Indeed 5.Qc2 is the Kosten
recommedation, when intended to play 5. ... Qd5 and hope I could remember a
game I played on a correspondence site.]

In the end played 5....Be6 For some reason a friend of mine likes
[5...c3 ]but don't understand this. 6. Ng5 Now looked at [6...Bd5 7. e4 h6
8. exd5 hxg5 9. dxc6 Nxc6 10 Nxc4 and either 10 ... Qd3 or Qd4.] However
judged the position better for white because of power of bg2 bishop. It
turns out that 10 ...e6 has been played before. Even if white is better,
black's peices are active, and it is clearly the critical line. Instead
played
6.... Bf5? and started to get pushed around after 7.Nxc4. My first thoughts
were to play [7...h6 but black seems to get blown away with a sac on f7, the
game Kochyev v Cebalo 1984 shows the sort of thing was worried about 8Nxf7
Kxf7 9. Qb3 Ke8 10 Qxb7 can't remember other lines worried about now]

The game continued 7 ..e6 8Qb3 Qc8 9 d3 h6 10 Ne4 Nxe4 11 dxe4 Bh7 with a
downward trend firmly established for black.