Old March 7th 04, 09:05 PM
chessplayer

Default KFC OF CHESS (3 GREATEST PLAYERS)

(Not in order of merit)

Kasparov

Fischer

Capablanca

IMHO the 3 Greatest players in the history of chess.

Everyone knows about Kasparov and him being the highest rated player
ever etc.

Fischer to me defined what it meant for chess brilliancy. He
popularized the game like no one before him (and probably no one after
him till date).

Capablanca. The greatest 4 year old to have ever played chess. Who
knows to what levels this man would have reached had he had the latest
computers available to him.

Actually the same can be said of Fischer. Computer chess was unheard
of in those days. Even uptill the late 80's or maybe even early 90's
chess programs were not that sophisticated. Fischer's brilliant moves
(and many of them computer like in their accuracy) makes him just
someone remarkable.

Anyway, coming back to Capablanca as many would disagree with this
choice as being the third in this all time list of 3 best ever.

There are 6 year olds and even some 5 year olds who play quite well.
However, I have yet to see a 4 year old who can beat his father (who
is also quite a good chessplayer like Capablanca's was). For a 4 year
old to beat an adult who regularly plays chess is something
extraordinary. Remarkable. True genius.

That is probably what Capablanca was.

Regards,

Chessplayer
Old March 9th 04, 08:21 AM
SEdwardWilson

[...]

Certainly can see why you chose these three....however, to leave off Tal and
Morphy seems a bit odd....Fischer said in 1964 that if Morphy returned from the
dead to play the contemporaries, Morphy would win every match,.....Kasparov
seems to have the same respect and opinion - seems the ones we call the
greatest keep pointing to Morphy as THE greatest....I tend to agree.

Steve Wilson

Old March 9th 04, 06:39 PM
chessplayer

(SEdwardWilson) wrote in message ...

[...]

Good point. I just wanted to pick my top 3. However, in terms of
greatness one certainly cannot exclude Tal. His brilliancy was
exceptional. Morphy too should come in the list. After all Fischer
himself said that Morphy would beat the pants off anybody should he be
playing today. So, if we were to make the list from 3 to 5 certainly I
would put these two all time greats in that list.

It was just a personal choice of mine to pick those 3. However, one
cannot choose between the above 5 either. All are great and it would
be difficult to pick any one of them over the other.

Regards,

Chessplayer
Old March 14th 04, 08:16 PM
peter wood

According to Chernev in his 1976 book 'The Golden Dozen' the twelve greatest
chessplayers of all time we

1. CAPABLANCA..........'was a genius,the greatest ever produced by chess'.
2. ALEKHINE.................. 'the most brilliant,the most imaginative
player in chess history'.
3. LASKER
4. FISCHER......................'in tournament and match play he has no
equal'.
5. BOTVINNIK
6. PETROSIAN
7. TAL
8. SMYSLOV
9. SPASSKY
10. BRONSTEIN
11. RUBINSTEIN
12. NIMZOVITCH

All before Kasparov of course nevertheless there are some strange omissions
such as MORPHY and STEINITZ.

My top three would be:

1. FISCHER & KASPAROV EQUAL 1ST both are wonderful players, I can't
separate them.
2. MORPHY
3. BOTVINNIK is a player worth a high position but there are others who
conceivably challenge this place.

Have Fun,
Peter

Old March 14th 04, 08:43 PM
Don Corleone

Capablanca.

Has no negative record against anyone.
In fact has +2 against Alekhine for example.

Old March 15th 04, 07:54 PM
Yeti

Well, didn't Morphy have a positive record against everyone as well?

Capablanca was too much of a virtuoso for my taste. He played by the
book and didn't develop chess to a higher level. Alekhine, Fischer and
Kasparov all regularly came up with stunning ideas that no one would
have thought of.

Old March 21st 04, 12:31 AM
chessplayer

(Yeti) wrote in message ...
Well, didn't Morphy have a positive record against everyone as well?

Capablanca was too much of a virtuoso for my taste. He played by the
book and didn't develop chess to a higher level. Alekhine, Fischer and
Kasparov all regularly came up with stunning ideas that no one would
have thought of.

It was just a matter of personal opinion. Alekhine too was a great
player. No doubt about that. He did much to enhance chess theory.
However, I just felt that Capablanca was a true genius. I gave my
reasons in the original post. However, it is always difficult to pick
one all time great player over another. Each of us has our own reasons
and it is very difficult for someone else to try and prove that one
was greater than the other.

Regards,

Chessplayer

Old March 24th 04, 08:06 AM
Holbox

"Yeti" escribió en el mensaje
Well, didn't Morphy have a positive record against everyone as well?

Capablanca was too much of a virtuoso for my taste. He played by the
book and didn't develop chess to a higher level. Alekhine, Fischer and
Kasparov all regularly came up with stunning ideas that no one would
have thought of.

What do you mean?! ;-) Capablanca has been the best qualified player in the
history. Many players need to surprise others to win. Capablanca didn't need
this.
The strenght of his play was based on the average strenght of his moves. At
this point Capablanca was the best.

Regards,

Holbox

Old March 25th 04, 12:19 AM
SEdwardWilson

Capa had Morphy to study and learn from - Morphy was the best ever.

Old March 26th 04, 09:40 AM
Holbox

Morphy was a superb player too. But his kind of play wouldn't have been
effective against Capablanca. In open games Capablanca has been the best.

Regards,
Holbox