Old March 11th 04, 03:15 AM
Doctor Who

Default Why is ChessCafe running the USCF book/equipment sales???

Hi,

I don't quite understand why the USCF is giving up on selling
equipment and giving the service to another company.

In 1998, I had looked at a budget financial report saying that the
USCF earned over 2 million dollars in revenues from sales. Not quite
sure why it is letting another organization take it.

well thanks for any info you can give.
Old March 11th 04, 03:42 AM

On 10 Mar 2004 19:15:01 -0800, (Doctor Who)
wrote:

Hi,

I don't quite understand why the USCF is giving up on selling
equipment and giving the service to another company.

In 1998, I had looked at a budget financial report saying that the
USCF earned over 2 million dollars in revenues from sales. Not quite
sure why it is letting another organization take it.

well thanks for any info you can give.

What happened is that the USCF refused to agree to sell Tim Hanke's
Chess Trivia Game on a drop ship basis. In retaliation, Tim Hanke ran
for election, as a way to force the USCF to sell his game.

After being elected, Tim Hanke at first expressed satisfaction with
the USCF B&E operation, but when the USCF still would not agree to
publish and sell Tim's game, Tim got himself elected VP of Finance and
started looking for someone else who would be willing to sell his
game. Malcolm Pein in England came forward and Tim Hanke decided to
give away the entire USCF B&E operation to Pein in return for which
Pein would consider publishing Hanke's game.

Then Goichberg got himself appointed Executive Director and before the
B&E operation could be handed over to Pein, Goichberg said that he
could make a better deal. He got Chess Cafe to agree to a better deal
with some financial guarantees which Pein was unwilling to offer and
that is how Chess Cafe got the deal.

Meanwhiule, Hanke has been sulking and the fate of his Chess Trivia
game is unknown, at least to us.

Old March 11th 04, 04:18 AM
The Masked Bishop

Because, according to the sages of New Windsor, they are paying HUNDREDS OF
THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for the privilege! Guaranteed!

We are all waiting for the check...

m...

Old March 11th 04, 04:25 AM
Tim Hanke

wrote:

[...]

Sam Sloan

Sam forgot to add that I sexually harassed Susan Polgar because she and Paul
Truong refused to sell my chess trivia game at the Polgar Chess Center.

Also I fired 18 people at USCF on Aug. 20, 2003 because they wrote a letter
of protest about my chess trivia game. Chess Life Editor Peter Kurzdorfer
refused to give me free ads in Chess Life for my chess trivia game, so he
was the first to go.

That same week I installed my sock puppet Mike Nolan as interim USCF
Executive Director, intending that he should force USCF to sell my chess
trivia game. When Nolan unexpectedly refused, I had my agents torch his home
in Nebraska and I fired his ass back to the Midwest. Thanks to my chess
trivia game, Nolan had a shorter term as USCF ED than anyone in
history--even shorter than Grant Perks, whom I later fired for the same
reason. (Perhaps I will add the question, "Who was USCF's shortest-serving
chief executive officer?" to my chess trivia game.)

Goichberg has not yet decided what to do about my chess trivia game. From my
point of view, this will be the key issue of his tenure as Executive
Director, not the books & equipment outsourcing or whether USCF can pay its
bills.

Tim Hanke

Old March 11th 04, 04:57 AM
StanB

"Doctor Who" wrote in message
m...

In 1998, I had looked at a budget financial report saying that the
USCF earned over 2 million dollars in revenues from sales.

Earning revenue is one thing, retaining the earnings is quite another.

StanB

Old March 11th 04, 05:00 AM
StanB

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

[...]

A newsgroup first. Sam writes a parody.

StanB

Old March 11th 04, 06:14 AM
Roger

Something doesn't add up..

If the USCF was losing money doing B&E, how can Chess Cafe afford to
handle the same sales, pay the USCF 15% of the gross, forgo tournament
concessions, pay for advertisements in Chess Life and still make
money?

I am sure that many will scream about how it is because the USCF is
inept. But we're talking about a 20%+ swing here. Costs like Personnel
and Merchandise are fixed and roughly the same between the two
companies and probably comprise 75% of the costs. There has to be
something more to explain this. Because it really doesn't add up.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old March 11th 04, 01:26 PM
Ray Gordon

Tim,

You forgot to mention the trip to Iraq to capture Saddam in between!

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

Old March 11th 04, 01:26 PM
Ray Gordon

Well there is the matter of access to the USCF member list.

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers