Old August 2nd 04, 10:34 PM
uspatriot

Default Yahoo game.

Looking for some opinions on this game I played at Yahoo in June. I am
White with a rating of 1348. Black had a rating of 1117.

W B
1 e4 c5
2 Nf3 e5?

This can't be good, sacrificing a pawn with no pieces developed.

3 Nc3

I'm too hung up on development, (3 Nxe5 is best)

3 Be7

(3...Nc6, shoring up the e5 pawn is best)

4 Bc4

I'm still sleeping.

4 Qb6

This introduces new possibilities like Nc3-d5, picking off the bishop
and threatening a fork on c7 if Black doesn't pay attention.

5 d3

Ho-hum.

5 Nc6

Finally Black kicks into action.

6 Nd5

And so do I!

6 Na5??

Oh, this is awful!

7 Nxb6 Nxc4
8 Nxc4

That was delicious!

8 Rb8?

A waste of time, (8...d6 should be played now).

9 Nxe5 d6
10 Nf3 Bg4
11 0-0

Now that the dust has cleared, I'll just make sure my king is
completely safe.

11 Rd8?

More wasted time, (11...Nf6 is better).

12 h3 Nh6??
13 Bxh6! gxh6
14 hxg4 Bh4??
15 Nxh4

Black is dead.

15 Rd7

What else?

16 Qf3 Ke7
17 Rfe1 Rhd8

Black is setting up a battering ram on a hopeless file.

18 e5 Rg8

Eeny, meeny, mimi, mo; to which file shall I go?

19 exd6++

The first check of the game is a double whammy.

19 Kd8
20 Qf6+ Kc8

I was hoping for (20...Re7, 21 Qxe7+ Kc8, 22Qc7#).

21 Re7 Kd8
22 Rxf7+ Re7

The last straw.

23 Qxe7+ Kc8
24 Qc7#

1-0

Any thoughts on this game would be appreciated.
Old August 5th 04, 06:16 AM
Michael Melia

Here is some advice .... Stop playing players that are rated 200 points lower than you. You will never improve if you do not play stronger players. I know it is fun to beat the hell out of someone, but in the long run, you are hurting your own games.

"uspatriot" wrote in message om...
Looking for some opinions on this game I played at Yahoo in June. I am
White with a rating of 1348. Black had a rating of 1117.

W B
1 e4 c5
2 Nf3 e5?

This can't be good, sacrificing a pawn with no pieces developed.

You are correct, it was not good. You could have safely taken the pawn, but your next move still maintains Whites first move advantage.

3 Nc3

I'm too hung up on development, (3 Nxe5 is best)

3 Be7

(3...Nc6, shoring up the e5 pawn is best)

Nc6 is good... d6 is better

4 Bc4

I'm still sleeping.

Nxe5

4 Qb6

This move looses outright. 5.Nxe5 Nf6 6.Bxf7+ Kf8 7.Nd5 Qd6 8.Nc4 Qa6 9.d3 Bd8 10.Bf4

This introduces new possibilities like Nc3-d5, picking off the bishop
and threatening a fork on c7 if Black doesn't pay attention.

5 d3

Ho-hum.

5 Nc6

Finally Black kicks into action.

6 Nd5

And so do I!

6 Na5??

Oh, this is awful!

7 Nxb6 Nxc4
8 Nxc4

?? Nxc4?? Try Nxa8

Looking at the rest of this game is pointless. You made no other serious errors, and your opponent plays checkers for the rest of the game.
Sorry, but I am not impressed. Not because you played badly, but because of the poor play (if you can even call it playing) of your opponent. I could have given someone who has never played before a 2 hour lesson and they could have beat that person.

Cheers!

Michael Melia
Mikes Chess Arsenal