Old March 12th 04, 12:37 AM
BriMarErn

Default E4 to D4 Switch - The Verdict

About 5 years ago (!) I posted a question on the chess newsgroups dealing with
switching from E4 to D4. On February 27, for the first time in 20 years of
playing tournament chess, I made the plunge. ( I didn't break out into a cold
sweat as I had imagined I would!)

The result ( with 3 whites in a 5 round tournament) 1-1-1. Yep, one win
(opponent 2084), one loss(opponent 2171), and one draw (opponent 2056). (My
rating is currently 2032)

I was pleasantly surprised! Even the game I lost was not embarrarasing in the
least bit. I played ,respectively, a London System, Torre Attack, and
Hyper-Benoni (1...c5). Got a cool POWERFUL attack with the London System.

Hopefully, I will be able to play at least 3 more tournaments this year( World
Open included!) If FM Eric Schiller is reading this, thanks for responding to
my post 5 years ago, and, I'm sold on D4!
Old March 17th 04, 04:29 AM
Mike Leahy

"BriMarErn" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, even though opening theory pays my bills (our most popular ebook is on
the London System for White), I believe that overall chess skill beats
memorizing
lines every time. I play the London myself almost exclusively, most days on
the
ICC, and I used to be a die hard 1.e4 player.

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com