Old August 4th 04, 01:45 AM
Tim923

Default chess - science or art

Does being super great at chess require unteachable talent,
inspiration, and creativity, or can someone with enough intelligence,
such as a math PhD wizard, learn it as a science and be a grandmaster?

Are the grandmasters outstanding mathematicians?
Old August 4th 04, 03:16 AM
Bugsy

"Tim923" wrote in message
Does being super great at chess require unteachable talent,

Super Grandmasters have a genetic ability over the majority of players.

inspiration, and creativity, or can someone with enough intelligence,
such as a math PhD wizard, learn it as a science and be a grandmaster?

Chess is science and art combined.

Are the grandmasters outstanding mathematicians?

No, some are accountants, lawyers, musicians etc.

Old August 10th 04, 01:51 PM
Henri Arsenault

In article , Tim923
wrote:

Does being super great at chess require unteachable talent,
inspiration, and creativity, or can someone with enough intelligence,
such as a math PhD wizard, learn it as a science and be a grandmaster?

Are the grandmasters outstanding mathematicians?

Specific capabilities of good chess players are well known (although I
don't carry the information around...), and involve things like ability of
visualization (looking ahead) and visual memory (remembering moves after
a game). I don't believe that math ability has much to do with it. Clearly
intelligent people are more prone to be good chess players, because chess
requires a fair amount of logic to play well.

Although the required abilities can be learned, it is clear that people
who have them already have a better chance of excelling at chess. And it
is also true that there are people that can never reach the Master level
no matter how hard they try, whereas some 5-year-old kids have learned the
game at a high level just by watching their fathers play.

It is worthwhile remembering that chess knowledge and chess performance
(as measured by ratings are two very different things (otherwise most
trainers would be grandmasters).

I would guess that most players could reach an Elo level of 1800 if they
were willing to invest the time and discipline, but I am not sure about
that. But I am fairly sure that there are people who cannot reach the
level of Master no matter how hard they train.

Henri
Old August 10th 04, 09:07 PM
Tim923

Specific capabilities of good chess players are well known (although I
don't carry the information around...), and involve things like ability of
visualization (looking ahead) and visual memory (remembering moves after
a game). I don't believe that math ability has much to do with it. Clearly
intelligent people are more prone to be good chess players, because chess
requires a fair amount of logic to play well.

Is there such a thing as chess blindness, that is often not noticing
when your piece is under direct attack? What about blundermania?

These conditions can make chess very frustrating.
Old August 11th 04, 12:54 PM
Henri Arsenault

In article , Tim923
wrote:

Specific capabilities of good chess players are well known (although I
don't carry the information around...), and involve things like ability of
visualization (looking ahead) and visual memory (remembering moves after
a game). I don't believe that math ability has much to do with it. Clearly
intelligent people are more prone to be good chess players, because chess
requires a fair amount of logic to play well.

Is there such a thing as chess blindness, that is often not noticing
when your piece is under direct attack? What about blundermania?

These conditions can make chess very frustrating.

Yes indeed, this can be reduced somewhat by training, but even
grandmasters succumb to them once in a while. Just look at any moderately
complex tactical problem and see how many moves that you miss due to not
seeing checks, captures, and so on.

Note that high-level performance depends on constant practice: top
grandmasters typically train a minimum of five hours a day. As is the case
for musicians, skipping a few practices can result in a significant drop
in performance; keeping a sharp razor-edge performance requires a lot of
work, and it tells ordinary mortals like us that the cost of high-level
performance could be more than we are willing or able to pay.

Henri

Old August 11th 04, 10:49 PM
Bob Newell

Is there such a thing as chess blindness, that is often not noticing
when your piece is under direct attack? What about blundermania?

I practice these attibutes regularly, consistently, and well!

in performance; keeping a sharp razor-edge performance requires a lot of
work, and it tells ordinary mortals like us that the cost of high-level
performance could be more than we are willing or able to pay.

I always remind myself, since chess is a hobby and a diversion for me
and not a career, that it's supposed to be fun, and if it isn't fun,
then I'm going about it in the wrong way.

If I lose too much and it bothers me but I don't want to put in more
time, I should look for a different hobby. On the other hand, if I lose
a lot but am still satisfied with a feeling of slow improvement, or if
it is still fun no matter, then that is more than good enough. We don't
have to be a Master, or even have to aspire in that direction, for chess
to be a great and worthy amusement.