Old March 15th 04, 09:16 AM
Peter Billam

Default Best books on Sveshnikov ?

Greetings...

I've already got "The Sveshnikov Sicilian", Krasnekov, Cadogan 1996

The chess.co.uk catalogue lists:
"Sveshnikov Sicilian", McDonald, Batsford
"New Ideas in the Sveshnikov", Neverov, Batsford
"Easy Guide to the Sveshnikov Sicilian", McDonald, Everyman
"Complete Sveshnikov Sicilian", Yakovic, Gambit
"Play the Sveshnikov", Rohde, Hays
but they don't give the publication dates, which are important...

Can anyone recommend a recent substantial Sveshnikov book ?

Regards, Peter Billam

Peter Billam www.pjb.com.au peter.billam at pjb.com.au
Original compositions, and arrangements of Bach, Schubert, Brahms...
Old March 15th 04, 04:40 PM
SaltOfLife

Peter Billam wrote in message ...
Greetings...

I've already got "The Sveshnikov Sicilian", Krasnekov, Cadogan 1996

The chess.co.uk catalogue lists:
"Sveshnikov Sicilian", McDonald, Batsford
"New Ideas in the Sveshnikov", Neverov, Batsford
"Easy Guide to the Sveshnikov Sicilian", McDonald, Everyman
"Complete Sveshnikov Sicilian", Yakovic, Gambit
"Play the Sveshnikov", Rohde, Hays
but they don't give the publication dates, which are important...

Can anyone recommend a recent substantial Sveshnikov book ?

Regards, Peter Billam

Yakovich's book is the more recent, and reviews were fairly good, so I
guess it's the best buy.

However, be warned : it's an encyclopedic tome !

Cheers,
Old March 23rd 04, 09:42 AM
Ray Gordon

The first book on it, I think it was "The Pelikan Sicilian" (by
Shveshnikov?) was great.

Also look at his own games with it, plus the games of his analysis partner,
Gennady Timoschenko, who seems to understand the theory of the opening
better than Shevshnikov himself does.

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

Peter Billam www.pjb.com.au peter.billam at pjb.com.au
Original compositions, and arrangements of Bach, Schubert, Brahms...

Old March 24th 04, 01:23 AM
Peter Billam

Ray Gordon wrote:
The first book on it, I think it was "The Pelikan Sicilian" (by
Shveshnikov?) was great.

The other book I have on it is "Sicilian: Lasker-Pelikan" by Wade,
Speelman, Povah and Blackstock, Batsford 1978, which is really good
considering the date. I know Shveshnikov's own book is the classic,
but that's one I don't have :-(

SaltOfLife wrote:
Yakovich's book is the more recent, and reviews were fairly good,
so I guess it's the best buy.
However, be warned : it's an encyclopedic tome !

I bought it, and it's what I need :-) It's 270 pages, and not as
encyclopaedic as all that, though; a couple of examples I've come
across so far a after 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6
5. Nc3 e5 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Bg5 a6 8. Na3 b5 9. Bxf6 gf6 10. Nd5 f5

and then after the knight sacrifice 11. Nxb5 ab5 12. Bxb5 Bb7
13. ef5 Ra5 14. Qd3! Bg7 15. Qc4 Yakovic considers only 15... O-O?!
and 15... Rxb5 when Black "can fight successfully", but does not
mention Horváth's analysis 15... Kf8! 16. Bxc6 Rc5 17. Qxc5 dc5
18. Bxb7 Qd7 19. Ba8 Qc8 20. f6 Bh6 with advantage

or after the bishop sacrifice 11. Bxb5 ab5 12. Nxb5
Yakovic writes "12... Qg5 was considered good until Tischbierek
played 13. Ndc7+! Kd8 14. Qd5! when Black has an unpleasant choice"
and considers only 14... Qxg2, 14... Nb4? and 14... Bb7, but does not
mention 14... Rb8! 15. Qxc6 Bd7 16. Qa6 Bh6 17. Qa5 (17. O-O Rg8
18. g3 f4) 17... Qxg2 18. Nd5+ Ke8 19. Nbc7+ Kf8 20. Rf1 Qxe4+
21. Kd1 Bb5 -+ (Informator 26/380)

But it's a fine book which will keep me going for the next few years.
For example, I was happy to see after 11. ef5 Bxf5 12. Bd3 Be6 13. Be4
that Black now has 13... Bg7! instead of the old 13... Rc8 14. O-O! Bg7
15. Qd3 Ne7 16. Nxe7 which I was quite worried about.

Regards, Peter Billam

Peter Billam www.pjb.com.au peter.billam at pjb.com.au
Original compositions, and arrangements of Bach, Schubert, Brahms...
Old March 24th 04, 06:50 AM
Roman M. Parparov

Ray Gordon wrote:
The first book on it, I think it was "The Pelikan Sicilian" (by
Shveshnikov?) was great.

Also look at his own games with it, plus the games of his analysis partner,
Gennady Timoschenko, who seems to understand the theory of the opening
better than Shevshnikov himself does.

Sveshnikov himself writes that Timoshchenko has a _different_ understanding
of the opening - for example, Timoshchenko considered 7.Nd5 lines dangerous,
while Sveshnikov didn't.

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/