Old August 14th 04, 08:15 PM
Doctor SBD

Default James Eade & "Chess For Dummies"

Jim, I looked at your "Chess For Dummies" book in my local bookstore and I
was utterly shocked by how badly it was written.

Seems very unfair; the reviews at the site you cite are generally good (4 of 5
stars average), and reading them also points out a problem with such books: who
are they written for? Absolute beginners or those wanting to improve? That is
probably a greater range of abilities than most chess books have to accomodate.

Wolff's book might be a tad better but to say this is a badly written book is
incorrect. It strikes me as an appropriate freshman effort, and someone as
sharp as Eade can fix many of the minor problems in a 2nd Ed. Of course, you
could always send him some examples of what you think is so bad to help him
improve the book; listening to real, focused, and fair complaints really helped
me in fixing a weak first edition of a book I wrote. But just calling it bad
helps no one.

SBD