Old November 17th 04, 01:00 AM
rpadev

Default Fritz 7 Questions

I have a few Fritz 7 questions. I appreciate your time if any of you are
able to help me out with these.

Thanks,
John

1) Can I use the full functionality of Fritz without the CD? I copied all
databases, opening tree, and talk files to my laptop. I notice that it
still asks for the CD once in a while (especially when changing engine).
Can this be avoided?

2) The book that came with my software (packaged by Viva Media, not
Chessbase) mentions an opening tutorial found by clicking Tools | Training
| Opening Training. This section is on page 6 of the book. I can't find
this in my program menu at all. Perhaps this is a typo in the book? I
actually thought this was a feature added in Fritz 8.

3) I downloaded a beginer's course from Viva-media.com and I don't know
where to install it or how to use it.
http://www.viva-media.com/support.html

4) Why are there files in C:\cbdata when I specified a different directory
for data when installing?

5) When Fritz displays opening in the status bar after a few moves are
made, how does it determine the opening? Is it the tree?

6) Which new feature are in Fritz 8 that are not in Fritz 7? Are these
worth it? I got Fritz 7 for $11.99 and it looks like Fritz 8 is like $40.

7) Is it possible to avoid the annoying splash for Viva? It stays up for
what seems like 10 seconds.

8) What kind of training options are available in Fritz 7 other than coach,
spy, analysis? Are there any features similar to the opening tutor
discussed in item #2 above.

Old November 17th 04, 01:10 AM
rpadev

rpadev wrote in
t:

I have a few Fritz 7 questions. I appreciate your time if any of you
are able to help me out with these.

Thanks,
John

1) Can I use the full functionality of Fritz without the CD? I copied
all databases, opening tree, and talk files to my laptop. I notice
that it still asks for the CD once in a while (especially when
changing engine). Can this be avoided?

2) The book that came with my software (packaged by Viva Media, not
Chessbase) mentions an opening tutorial found by clicking Tools |
Training
| Opening Training. This section is on page 6 of the book. I can't
| find
this in my program menu at all. Perhaps this is a typo in the book?
I actually thought this was a feature added in Fritz 8.

3) I downloaded a beginer's course from Viva-media.com and I don't
know where to install it or how to use it.
http://www.viva-media.com/support.html

4) Why are there files in C:\cbdata when I specified a different
directory for data when installing?

5) When Fritz displays opening in the status bar after a few moves are
made, how does it determine the opening? Is it the tree?

6) Which new feature are in Fritz 8 that are not in Fritz 7? Are
these worth it? I got Fritz 7 for $11.99 and it looks like Fritz 8 is
like $40.

7) Is it possible to avoid the annoying splash for Viva? It stays up
for what seems like 10 seconds.

8) What kind of training options are available in Fritz 7 other than
coach, spy, analysis? Are there any features similar to the opening
tutor discussed in item #2 above.

copied to rec.games.chess.misc
Old November 18th 04, 01:58 AM
Jason Chamberlain

John,

I too am a fairly new Fritz 7 owner and have replied to what I can inline:

rpadev wrote:
I have a few Fritz 7 questions. I appreciate your time if any of you are
able to help me out with these.

Thanks,
John

1) Can I use the full functionality of Fritz without the CD? I copied all
databases, opening tree, and talk files to my laptop. I notice that it
still asks for the CD once in a while (especially when changing engine).
Can this be avoided?

Not sure. I haven't run into that yet. I don't use the CD.

2) The book that came with my software (packaged by Viva Media, not
Chessbase) mentions an opening tutorial found by clicking Tools | Training
| Opening Training. This section is on page 6 of the book. I can't find
this in my program menu at all. Perhaps this is a typo in the book? I
actually thought this was a feature added in Fritz 8.

I believe the Opening Training is a Fritz 8 feature only.

3) I downloaded a beginer's course from Viva-media.com and I don't know
where to install it or how to use it.
http://www.viva-media.com/support.html

4) Why are there files in C:\cbdata when I specified a different directory
for data when installing?

5) When Fritz displays opening in the status bar after a few moves are
made, how does it determine the opening? Is it the tree?

6) Which new feature are in Fritz 8 that are not in Fritz 7? Are these
worth it? I got Fritz 7 for $11.99 and it looks like Fritz 8 is like $40.

From the reviews I've read, the main differences are the new 3D set and
the opening training. I understand that the opening training isn't that
great though.

7) Is it possible to avoid the annoying splash for Viva? It stays up for
what seems like 10 seconds.

Try the ESCAPE key.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jason

Old November 18th 04, 02:12 AM
rpadev

Jason Chamberlain wrote in
:

rpadev wrote:
I have a few Fritz 7 questions. I appreciate your time if any of you
are able to help me out with these.

Thanks,
John

1) Can I use the full functionality of Fritz without the CD? I
copied all databases, opening tree, and talk files to my laptop. I
notice that it still asks for the CD once in a while (especially when
changing engine). Can this be avoided?

Not sure. I haven't run into that yet. I don't use the CD.

2) The book that came with my software (packaged by Viva Media, not
Chessbase) mentions an opening tutorial found by clicking Tools |
Training
| Opening Training. This section is on page 6 of the book. I can't
| find
this in my program menu at all. Perhaps this is a typo in the book?
I actually thought this was a feature added in Fritz 8.

I believe the Opening Training is a Fritz 8 feature only.

3) I downloaded a beginer's course from Viva-media.com and I don't
know where to install it or how to use it.
http://www.viva-media.com/support.html

4) Why are there files in C:\cbdata when I specified a different
directory for data when installing?

5) When Fritz displays opening in the status bar after a few moves
are made, how does it determine the opening? Is it the tree?

6) Which new feature are in Fritz 8 that are not in Fritz 7? Are
these worth it? I got Fritz 7 for $11.99 and it looks like Fritz 8
is like $40.

From the reviews I've read, the main differences are the new 3D set
and
the opening training. I understand that the opening training isn't
that great though.

7) Is it possible to avoid the annoying splash for Viva? It stays up
for what seems like 10 seconds.

Try the ESCAPE key.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jason

8) What kind of training options are available in Fritz 7 other than
coach, spy, analysis? Are there any features similar to the opening
tutor discussed in item #2 above.

Jason:

Thanks for the reply. I got a reply back from Chessbase tonight and they
confirmed that you may need the CD from time to time. It's a form of
copy protection. From what I see it basically makes the Fritz 7 engine
unavailable. The rest seems to work fine. When I get stuck like this I
end up with Fritz 5.3 which spanks me anyway.

They also confrimed that the openings tutor is only available with Fritz
8. It looks like the Fritz 7 book that I have has sections that belong
in the F8 book. Some sentences actually mention F8 specifically.

Thanks,
John

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RPA - Raggio Pocket PC Applications
Old November 18th 04, 05:51 PM

3) I downloaded a beginer's course from Viva-media.com and I don't
know
where to install it or how to use it.
http://www.viva-media.com/support.html

place the course in the folder that you want to use and then open
fritz7.
load database then select load database again and select the
course .
Easy as sin.

Old November 24th 04, 05:46 AM
Nitin

All the best Chess Engines can be yours for an amazing price! I am
giving engines worth hundreds of dollars for a unbelievable price of
only 10$ ! The engines are :-
1) Chess tiger 14 ,15
2) Shredder 5.32, 6, 7 ,8
3) Nimzo 8
4) Junior 7, 8
5) Hiarcs 6, 7, 8, 9
6) Fritz 7, 8
8) Gambit Tiger 2
9) Deep Fritz 7
10) Deep Junior 6,7
11) Rebel 12
12) SOS
13) Phalanx
14) Patzer
15) Little Goliath Gold edition
16) AnMon
Send 10$(usd) to my PAYPAL account and i will
send you my website address where you can download the entire package.
- nitin
Old January 15th 05, 04:59 AM
Kitchen Man

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:58:44 -0500, Jason Chamberlain
wrote:

6) Which new feature are in Fritz 8 that are not in Fritz 7? Are these
worth it? I got Fritz 7 for $11.99 and it looks like Fritz 8 is like $40.

From the reviews I've read, the main differences are the new 3D set and
the opening training. I understand that the opening training isn't that
great though.

The opening training is as good as you make it. Lines can be added at
will, although the documentation could be a bit clearer about how to
save a line into the Openings database.

--
Al Brennan
"Why must I lose to this idiot?"