Old December 9th 04, 08:47 AM
Abe Taha

Default Fritz 8 under Linux?

I ran the Fritz 8 installer under wine on red-hat fedora core 3, and managed
to install Fritz under Linux. However when I start the program, it cannot
find the talk CD and complains that the disk is possibly a non-original CD.
I can use the program to log on to Chessbase and play games, however I
cannot perform any analysis of the games or get the sound to work.

Did anyone have a better experience?

Thanks,
Abe

Old December 9th 04, 01:48 PM
Stephan Hirsch

Abe Taha wrote:

Did anyone have a better experience?

Hi Abe,

unfortunately not, it's the same with my Wine-Fritz 8! I wrote an email to
chessbase-support, but it was not possible for them to help me.

I think we have to wait until 75% (or 80%?) of the mankind were using Linux
in 2012 (maybe something earlier): only then we can hopefully wait for a
linux-compatible version of Fritz 14 (for kernel 2.6.584.893)!

Unfortunately too that there was no workaround for this problem (I havn't
found one)!

Kind regards,
Stephan

Old December 9th 04, 02:22 PM
David Richerby

Stephan Hirsch wrote:
I think we have to wait until 75% (or 80%?) of the mankind were using
Linux in 2012 (maybe something earlier): only then we can hopefully wait
for a linux-compatible version of Fritz 14 (for kernel 2.6.584.893)!

Of course, a chess program is hardly likely to be specific to any one
kernel version.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Lead Atom Bomb (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ weapon of mass destruction that weighs
Old December 10th 04, 10:44 AM
Stephan Hirsch

David Richerby schrieb:

Of course, a chess program is hardly likely to be specific to any one
kernel version.

Hi David,

thanks, of course you are right! At least one good message!

Kind regards,
Stephan
Old December 21st 04, 09:57 PM
Abe Taha

As a follow up, I managed to get sound to work under Linux by pure
chance. Running sudo wine did the trick, so I think there is a
permissions problem with fritz/wine/sound card access. For the life of
me though I cannot get the analysis to work, everything else does,
including the engine matches. For analysis I'll just stick to crafty.

Abe

Old December 22nd 04, 01:55 AM
Noah Roberts

Abe Taha wrote:
As a follow up, I managed to get sound to work under Linux by pure
chance. Running sudo wine did the trick, so I think there is a
permissions problem with fritz/wine/sound card access.

chmod 666 /dev/snd/*

or, create a group for audio access (may already exist) and
chown root:audio /dev/snd/*
chmod 660 /dev/snd/*

and make sure you are a member of that group. Many distros work this
way...look in /etc/group
Old December 23rd 04, 07:00 PM
Abe Taha

Noah Roberts wrote:

chmod 666 /dev/snd/*

or, create a group for audio access (may already exist) and
chown root:audio /dev/snd/*
chmod 660 /dev/snd/*

and make sure you are a member of that group. Many distros work this
way...look in /etc/group

Surprisingly that did not work; no sound unless wine runs as sudo. Any
idea what might be cause?

Thanks,
Abe
Old December 23rd 04, 07:54 PM
Joost de Heer

chmod 666 /dev/snd/*

Surprisingly that did not work; no sound unless wine runs as sudo. Any
idea what might be cause?

You might need access to /dev/dsp too.

If that doesn't help: try running lsof to see which /dev entries are
used when running Fritz.

Joost
--
Du hast mein Herz zerrissen, meine Seele geraubt
Das es so enden würde hätt` ich nie geglaubt [Aus der Ruinen -]